Boot Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluemazda8

Solid State Member
I search for about 15min and couldnt find anything helpful.

Here is my situation. I had a dell for about 2 years and bought a new one. Something happend to the old one and I couldnt get IE to work on it anymore. So I took the HD out of the old one and put it in the new one to put the newer version of XP with the SP2. When I put it back in the old one it wont boot. I cant even get it to recognize the D drive. I put a XP boot disk in and when I get into dos I try to type cd\d: and I get invalid directory. help please. Thanks

you took the hard drive out with an operating system on it, put it on another pc and then put it back?

Thats the problem. You can't do that..Well I mean physically yes you can, but it wont boot. Is the drive at least detected by the BIOS?

Warez Monster said:
you took the hard drive out with an operating system on it, put it on another pc and then put it back?
Yes i took it out with all the stuff on it. Installed the xp version from the new install disk and put it back in the other. As you can tell I dont know squat about this stuff. Forgive my ignorance.

it already had xp on it, but the IE wasnt working right. So I figured if I installed the one from the new computer it would work ok.

i have the hard drive in the old computer and it wont boot. I cant get the computer to recognize the D drive. It doesnt even show up in the Bios. it should be under removable devices right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom