Getting errors and unstability after raising voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
Right now, I have my CPU from the stock 2400 MHz to 2525 MHz and this is as far as I can go to be stable. I had it up to 2580 MHz but it rebooted during a benchmark test, so I raised the voltage from 1.5v to 1.525v. Now, when I boot Windows, it's very slow and a message comes up telling me "Windows has just recovered from a serious error". What's the deal? Is it because I have a crappy power supply? Does it have anything to do with the RAM voltage?

If you arent overclocking the ram, then you dont have to mess around with the ram voltages. But you want to make sure that you have the ram speed locked. If you change the fsb, its tied into the ram, and could effect that.

As for the window message, you some times recieve that when your pc locks up or crashes. Try another rebot and see how windows is running. If windows boots up fine, then try another run at your benchmark test. Other than that, you might want to try to back down your over clock, and go back to the orginal voltages.

Overclocking is alot of trial and error. You have to increase the number little by little, if you do it by too much, you might damage hardware.

The RAM and CPU are overclocking together. How do I set up a divider?

BTW, the RAM is G.Skill value RAM, so it probably doesn't OC well.

in your BIOS there should be a setting for DRAM or RAM that looks like 1:1, 5:4, etc. or 200mhz, 166mhz, 133mhz, etc. Read the OC sticky for specifics on how this works. When your RAM can't OC (which it probably can't very much) you need to do this or it will severely limit your entire OC.

I changed the multiplier from 12 to 11 and set the HTT to 235, bringing me to 2.6 GHz. Also my BIOS doesn't have a ratio to set for the RAM, just an indexing. So instead of 200 MHz, I set it to 166. Now my RAM is at 185 MHz. With stock voltage it did fine until it got to the power supply test on S&M, then it rebooted. I turned the voltage up from 1.5 to 1.525 and it actually passed.

Now, lets see if I can get the HTT up some more to at least bring the RAM back to the stock 200 MHz. :)

BTW, my BIOS won't allow me to adjust RAM timings.

provided your cpu can handle it, you can get your mem back up to 200mhz without needing to adjust timings. you did what you needed to do. im sure you can squeeze another 20mhz out of the proc.

I am at 2.6 GHz with the CPU. Seems stable and fast so far, haven't done a full test yet though. The RAM is at 195 MHz, so I'm almost back to 200 MHz. I tried taking it to 200 by raising the HTT another 5 MHz but I got the same slow loading and the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message. Raising the RAMs voltage to 2.7v didn't help the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom