Static!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigg

Solid State Member
Hi guys,
I just started building my first PC a couple weeks ago, and I'm in a little bit of a worry stage as of now. I put some of it together, and then looked around on the internet for how to hook up IDE drives, floppy drives, etc. When I came across something about "grounding" yourself before working on parts. I did no such thing. I worked in a few places, I worked on a table, with linoleum flooring, I stood on the carpet holding the motherboard, also, I layed the case on my bed, with the parts in it (none of them actually touching the bed) and worked on it. Just wondering if there is a high chance that I could have damaged something in the process. Thanks

i wouldn't say high chance, maybe a small chance. next time install power supply into case, plug the power cord into the power supply, hold case with a hand, unplug cord, leave your one hand or elbow on case while working on computer. you can also use a static wriststrap

erm, thanks, I'm still a little nervous about it though. I didn't really touch the parts, I held it more along the edges, except for a few times a touched a few peices, but I was on the linoleum again. I think I might just get a static gaurd, to ward off this problem again, thanks

Well i just opened up a computer to look at it. I was laying on carpet but I would touch different metal objects every once in a while. I took out my hard drive, ram, and video card and when I put it back in my computer wouldnt boot up:angry: so maybe there is a chance that both you and I messed up a part or two:confused:

erm, im pretty sure mine is fine, looks like it works so far, I could have started a degrading process on it though. oh well

Look you don't really need one of those bands, just touch the radiator and it will have the same effect.

The easiest way to ground ur self would be ...is to grab the systemcase .. this is normally more than sufficient

I link two of my metal necklaces and wrap my writs around them, and wrap the other end around a part of the case. Cheap n' easy :)

thats dangerous True_Orb, if you happen to leave your power supply plugged in and your necklace contacts a capacitor or whatever else you are toast, receive nasty burns on your wrist, or at least get a nice shock.

preet4u touching the case alone will not ground you. the case itself has to be grounded momentarily. i always plug the power cord in, touch case, unplug cord. an electrician told me if you use a anti-static wristband you have the same problem. if you are the path of least resistance you are a goner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom