Could It Be True?!?!?!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
Ok i heard a while ago that the 7800gtx was going to be harder to find and more expensive to get because of a insufficent amount of samsung memory chips. We saw this on newegg with the availablity but idk about price. Well I was looking here at the inside of the Xbox 360 (http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2611&p=3) and it says "Next up we've got a single 64MB Samsung GDDR3 memory device from the Xbox 360's motherboard; there are a total of 8 of these chips on the motherboard, adding up to the system's full 512MB of unified system memory." Oviously you see where I am going and want someone to clear this up for me. 1) Are the chips used on the 7800gtx 512 the same as the ones on Xbox 360 and 2) If so is this partly the reason the 7800gtx 512 is hard to get.

no, I think they might possibly use GDDR3 as the system RAM. Not the graphics card.

I'm not speaking from experience or reading or anything, but I bet that's what they're talking about.

Ryan

The 7800GTX-512MB is hard to get because a newer, better version is coming out and Nvidia doesn't want to dwell on the old one anymore.

The 512MB memory on the Xbox360 that you're talking about is for the whole Xbox 360 System. It is shared by the GPU and the System. There is no such thing as a 512MB version of Xenos, the Xbox 360's GPU.

In any case, Xenos is an ATI videocard, not an Nvidia videocard, so it has nothing to do with the 7800GTX-512MB.

Flanker said:
The 7800GTX-512MB is hard to get because a newer, better version is coming out and Nvidia doesn't want to dwell on the old one anymore.
no, I think they would be trying to make as much money as they can from them.
the problem is that Samsung is having trouble meeting demand for its new memory chips (that's what I heard anyway)

Flanker said:

The 512MB memory on the Xbox360 that you're talking about is for the whole Xbox 360 System. It is shared by the GPU and the System. There is no such thing as a 512MB version of Xenos, the Xbox 360's GPU.

In any case, Xenos is an ATI videocard, not an Nvidia videocard, so it has nothing to do with the 7800GTX-512MB.
it was answered here

No, i have read a post someplace, on the Xbox 360 Website, that when the products are constrtucted in Malaysia, they oreder specialy made ATI cards that are compatiable with the xbox 360, some people were able to switch their cards to better ones, slighttly better ones.

Im not sure where the post is but if i find it i'll PM it to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom