FireWall??

Status
Not open for further replies.

4uvak

In Runtime
can somebody tell me what is firewall

should i download one?? which ones are best?

In computing, a firewall is a piece of hardware and/or software which functions in a networked environment to prevent some communications forbidden by the security policy, analogous to the function of firewalls in building construction. A firewall is also called a Border Protection Device (BPD), especially in NATO contexts, or packet filter in BSD contexts.

A firewall has the basic task of controlling traffic between different zones of trust. Typical zones of trust include the Internet (a zone with no trust) and an internal network (a zone with high trust). The ultimate goal is to provide controlled connectivity between zones of differing trust levels through the enforcement of a security policy and connectivity model based on the least privilege principle.

Proper configuration of firewalls demands skill from the administrator. It requires considerable understanding of network protocols, and of computer security. Small mistakes can render a firewall worthless as a security tool.

Hardware firewalls -- Cisco, Linksys
Software Firewalls -- Zone Alarm Pro 6, Sygate

Router -- Hardware firewalls -- Cisco, Linksys
Your Ethernet Port may also have built in Hardware firewalls
I use the Nvidia Firewall which came with my parts when I built it and it's suprisingly good but I do recommend Sygate for a free downloadable firewall.

I would use a software and hardware firewall. most people can't figure out how to properly configure a hardware one

Dont get confused about the responses your getting. YES you need a firewall if you are going to use your computer over the internet. If you are running windows XP you can upgrade to service pack 2 and go to START/CONTROL PANEL/SERCURITY CENTER to make sure it is turned on.

If you dont have windows XP go to Sygate.com and get your firewall from them, It is free and does just as good as any firewall out there or even better.

pandahater said:
Dont get confused about the responses your getting. YES you need a firewall if you are going to use your computer over the internet. If you are running windows XP you can upgrade to service pack 2 and go to START/CONTROL PANEL/SERCURITY CENTER to make sure it is turned on.

If you dont have windows XP go to Sygate.com and get your firewall from them, It is free and does just as good as any firewall out there or even better.

xp firewall is ok. but it doesn't block out bound connections, only inbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom