win98 & winME on Large Hard Drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Ok, i need some help here. Another great win98 question... oh boy!

I'm installing win98se on a Western Digital 80gb hard drive. I need to know how to get it to recognize the large disc, and be able to use the whole size of the disc. I already tried installing it the first time just to see how it handled on it's own... it installed fine.. asked me if i wanted to enable large disc support, and then i just wiped the whole 80gb drive clean and installed win98 on it using it's little utility during setup.

When all was said and done, when i look at mycomputer it reads that the hard drive is actually 3.74gb .

I did a search on here and on google. I'm getting all sorts of results about having to use fdisk to make different partitions, and about using disk partition utilities... what's the quickest and easiest way to do this? I will be installing win98se and then using an upgrade disc to install winME. It's not my computer and this is entirely by the request of the computer's owner. I personally wouldn't touch ME if it weren't for this.

Obviously, i've never done this before. I've always installed win98 on smaller drives.

Thanks for your replies.

use the xp disc to format it as fat32. then as soon as it finishes formatting immediately eject the disc before it starts copying files. it will say setup can't continue. now hit f3 to quit

now you can install windows me. choose the leave the file system intact option

why would you want to install windows 98 on a large hard drive? i would at least suggest windows 2000, because it has better functionality

Tall dude, the question of why i needed to install 98 on a large drive wasn't the focus point, but i'll go ahead and tell you why...

My friend didn't want to pay me for a 2000 or XP license/install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom