6800gs unlockable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the 7800 series have lower temps then the 6*** series. I need to get some better cooling, im stuck at stock lol

Nah I cant really RMA it, the card works fine. Its only really supposed to have 12 pipelines so I have no legitimate claim. I suppose I could damage the card and say it came damaged but I dont want to do that. I score 4.5k In 3dmark 05 and can probably OC to 5k, thats good enough for me and will run just about anything.

I just RMA'ed my ram to newegg, it wasnt working for me cough cough. THey took it gave me a new pair :D easy as pie. GO NEWEGG WOOT

thats also stealing but lets not get into moral issues today :/ (im talking about returning it to newegg cuz it doesnt overclock)

I don't know exactly if its your heat holding you back from your overclock. I thought the same thing when I was trying to overclock my 6800gt but I found that @ 380/1.0 it was freezing so after awhile of thinking how I could get it to move I ended up changing the voltage.. and voila now im @ 420/1.1 I don't expect you are an amatuer but did you change your voltage @ all? what exactly does it do? just artifacts? reboots? errors?

I hope people realize overclocking is a so so guessing game.. some people can get their card to well over stock with nothing added..others have to extra cooling more voltage... some people no matter what their card just cant handle it

but for some reason I keep thinking this is a different thread so ill leave it @ that

just be happy with what you got.. u shouldve got the xxx edition that thing is a great card.. unlocking pipes and shaders has never been a sure thing so its just to bad u didnt get away with it :/

How is that stealing, you paid for it and your paying shipping back to them so is it stealing?

Yes the 7800 series have lower temps then the 6*** series. I need to get some better cooling, im stuck at stock lol
WTF!!! My 9800Xt can play the game max 1024x768 w/ no AA, my 6800GT owns the game like its nothing so your 7800 should have NOOOOO problem whatsoever.
@ the 6800GS, try RMAing it and maybe you will get a good one. I also heard that the AGP version is supposed to OC higher than the PCI-E version casue its just down clocked. On the temps my 6800GT runs full load at 60 and idle 53. I dont think you have to worry about it.

After doing some tests, it turns out that I'm better off with both the pixel pipelines and the vertex shader disabled. Having the extra vertex shader caused stuff to slowdown, turning it off gave me 15 more fps in counterstrike test with all high 1024x768, 4 aa and 16 AS. I guess there's a reason they disabled them :p. As for RMAing it, screw it I got what I paid for. For a 250$ american card it performs well enough. My guess is that they stopped making n40 chips a while ago, put the good ones into the GT and then were left over with ones that had damaged pipelines and vertex shaders so figured they'd put them in the GS. Therefore even if I did bother to RMA it and get a new card the chances that it would unlock with helpful pipelines and shaders are slim. I'm happy with it how it is really, I'll OC it at one point but I'm really not very picky about my games, medium quality will do me fine and I can run anything in high except FEAR. Still wouldnt mind a free 7800gtx though :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom