Which virus program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion_AurA

Baseband Member
Ok, so I really dont have money to buy the good stuff like norton pro, etc. I downloaded McAfee firewall and security center (im assuming home editions) from comcast for free. However, some of my friends have been telling me that McAfee is terrible and that I shouldnt ever use it even if it is free. They suggested AVG. I downloaded avg and have been running both McAfee and AVG for two days now. I know ur not supposed to run both at the same time but im not sure about what to do. Should I keep McAfee (with the firewall) or should I keep AVG (do I need a firewall?)

Secound concern: Its been taking my comp like 2min to go to the my computer screen, is this a sign of a virus? Also, mozilla tends to crash and freeze up occasionaly.... this is waht has gotten me concerned with antivirus programs.

System specs:

Athlon 64 3500+
eVGA 7800GT
1 GB DDR333
eVGA Sli edition mobo
120GB Hitchi 7200Rpm
Audigy 2 ZS gamer

Ty, AurA.

I find that AVG actually does not conflict with many of the other popular AV programs out there. I often leave AVG's real-time protection ON for my laptop (which also has Norton AV 2004) and my desktop (which also has Avast). Both of the real-time protection for those AV programs are also on.

Anyways, you can have more than one AV program installed on your PC. If you are scared of conflicts (although like I said I find that AVG does not conflict with many popular AV programs) then just turn off AVG's real-time protection and use it as an ON-DEMAND scanner.

It is always good to have more than one AV program on your PC much like with Spyware programs so that one can catch what the other might have missed.

I found that AVG doesn't do anything, after 4 months of not scanning with it, I did a scan, it came with 2 minor risks - same name - that it couldn't even put in a virus volt. I go with-out now - mainly as a experiment. When I next format, I will download one just before and see what it comes up with. I do however have the hardware firewall on my motherboard and one on my router to protect me from hackers trying to instal anything (no software firewalls.) and I don't go on many sites now, and I don't use P2P software.

Intresting. Trifid, did u try any other virus scan along with AVG to see if their was anything that AVG didnt pick up? Just curious ^_^

No, I had enough of AV. Every week it asked for an update, and it always seemed to do it when I was playing a game. :mad:

Orion_AurA said:
do I need a firewall?

Depends, for most people merely running the firewall that comes with XP SP2 and a router (which have internal firewalls) is enough. However, if you're like me and like to see everything that is going on with your network connections a software firewall would be a good choice, I myself use Kerio. There are dozens of free firewalls out their, while not many are very good, there are a couple of gems. If you are really concerned about network security give this site a look see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom