no power response on PC-sony vaio

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdc325

Solid State Member
I have a problem with the power of my pc. I switch the power button on, it lights up for about a second and shuts down automatically. I have tried using three different power cords for the pc-tower and I continue to get the same result. This is very unusual because I dont use the computer excessesively or on a daily basis. The pc system is just about 3 years old and I have not been running any internet on the computer for the last 14 months.

I mainly use the computer for managing my MP3's and use of Microsoft Office for school projects. I used the computer about a week ago and everything was working properly. I am confused as what may have caused this power failure and where I should begin to fix it.

Unfortunately, my warranty on the PC just expired a while ago and would like to get some feedback on this situation before I take it to a computer repair shop.

model:
SONY VAIO pcv-rx770,
Pentium 4, 2.20GHZ,
512 MB PC-2100 DDR
120GB Ultra ATA/100
Windows XP Home Edition

update on my situation....

i opened the computer up and found chunks of dust all over the parts. I used an air-spray cleaner to dust off the parts and everything looks like new.

I powered the PCU, the power button switched on for about 2 seconds, then it switched off. I checked the case for wires that may have been unplugged or damaged. I also checked for cables running from the power button to the motherboard. Everything seems to be in place.

Anything else I should check?

It sounds like the power supply took a crap on you. If its a standard ATX case you can easily run down to your local computer parts shop and buy one. Do you have any other computers you could yank a power supply out of to test out real quick?

Yea power supplies just go when there ready..I've seen quite many OEM's go out after a year OEM meaning brand name PC's (sony, dell, compaq, hp etc etc..). Power supplies are like car batteries they will be fine one day then leave you stranded the next for no reason.

There is nothing that really causes a power supply short of applying the wrong voltage on the back of the unit and plugging it into the incorrect current. Also a power outage with no surge protector can do it as well..Anything like that happen recently?

There has been a few blackouts at home and I can remember at least two of these times my computer was running.

Can I buy any power supply or do i need to shop for a sony power supply?

thanks again. I'll follow up on the situation once I replace the power supply.

jdc325 said:
There has been a few blackouts at home and I can remember at least two of these times my computer was running.

Can I buy any power supply or do i need to shop for a sony power supply?

thanks again. I'll follow up on the situation once I replace the power supply.

You should ALSO really consider buying an adequate surge protector if you have not yet done so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom