Bad CPU fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacooler

Baseband Member
I have noticed my machine locking up a lot lately. So I checked the temps and it has been idling around 55C and sometimes gets up to 70C under load. Obviously this is MUCH TOO hot. So I opened the case and noticed the STOCK AMD FAN was running load. I put my finger against the it (the circular center part while it was running) and all of a suddent the fan's RPM kick WAY UP and my computer cools down to 43C idle. But then a few hours later I hear the fan RPM kick down (it's pretty loud) and the temp goes back to 60C.

I have an ASUS board but there is no QFAN installed (regulating fan RPM based on heat) so I am assuming this is a problem with my FAN. When the computer is running hot and I check the cpu fan rpm they vascillate from 2500 down to 0 every few seconds. So something must be wrong.

Do you guys think this is a busted stock AMD fan on my Athlon 2000+? I bought this thing retail about 3.5 years ago so I think it might be out of warranty.

I do not overclock at all and so I don't need anything other than a replacement fan that will fit on this stock AMD HS. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I can't help but think that there is some software control of FAN RPM. Right now (after touching the fan...which I think slows the rpm enough to make it kick up to 6000rpm) I am at 41C idle. This is doable if I could keep the fan at 6000 rpm. Is there any software out there that can do this? Or is there a setting somewhere? I am running on an ASUS A7N266.

yes...bad fan...if it's spiking like that and you're not the one causing it...also since you touched it and it spun faster thats another clue that it is bad.....at those temps i wouldn't use the computer too much until you get an aftermarket HSF...they arent too expensive if you're not wanting to OC....and i really mean don't use the computer...70c on an Athlon 2000+ could kill your CPU

So if this is a bad fan, then I need a replacement 60mm FAN. I think I can use the old Heat Sink.

I looked around on newegg for 60mm fans, but are these case fans ok to use on a heatsink for processor cooling? Or do is there a certain type of fan (rpm range) that I need to be focused on.

you can most likely replace it with a regular 60mm fan....but 60mm is still small...i would recomend getting a heat sink that comes with it's own fan...instead of just replacing the fan it's self

H4x3r said:
you can most likely replace it with a regular 60mm fan....but 60mm is still small...i would recomend getting a heat sink that comes with it's own fan...instead of just replacing the fan it's self

I understand there are probably much better HS out there, but why for my purposes would I need a new heat sink as well?

ALSO, does anyone have any ideas on where to get a 60mm online w/free shipping. Everywhere I check has shipping that is more expensive than the fan.

Perhaps frys might have something? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom