why cant i OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry18

Daemon Poster
ok, so i have oc by 20%, it was a bit confusing as i didnt see any of the stuff to adjust that you guys are always talimg about, instaed it was pretty simple, there was just a drop down bar, with lots of persentages to choose from, so far ive done it by 20%, (600mhz, up to 3.4 ghz) and my cpu is only 19c idle, for some reason, but i cant OC any more when i go for 30% the screen goes black, its still on but when i press the reset/ on button nothing happens, and i have to turn it off at the back, then when it boots up it says 'overclocking failed'........any ideas?

thanks

You overclocked it too much, and it went unstable. I'm not much into overclocking, but either the voltage is too low of that high of an OC, or the temp what ever program you're using is reporting is in accurate, which wouldn't be surprising, thats an unusually low temp for a stock processor, let alone an OC'd one.

Your CPU is not 19C idle unless your ambient room temperature is 15C or below...it is impossible for an air cooler to keep the CPU below ambient room temperature and the CPU will always be at least a few degrees warmer than the ambient temperature regardless of how good your cooler is...your temperature probe is out of whack

Second...you need to ditch the GUI Windows overclocking and do stuff through the BIOS...increase FSB by increments of 5 or 10 depending on your multiplier...lock your PCI at 33MHz, AGP at 66MHz or PCI-E at 100MHz...run a memory divider...and run prime95 for a few minutes before going any further, if you run into instability issues, you need to increase vcore

Overclocking ->

yea i did adjust it in the bios, thats where the drop down thigy was, acording to pc wizard it said my cpu was 19c, having plaid bf2 it says its got up to 29c, and what should i do if my temp probe is out, how do i fix that? how can i get a more acurate reading?

if the probe is damaged there is not much you can do, see if you can get some different monitoring software. if it's only 29c on the stock air cooler something is seriously f*****d up. if you're going to overclock i'd go out and buy an aftermarket cooler and some as5, take it back to stock speeds before removing the stock hsf and record the average idle and load temps. install the new cooler and record the averages at stock so that you at least have a scale of temps. you should get an aftermarket cooler to err on the side of caution

ok, this stuff is BRAND new:

asus p4p800se mobo
1gb geil ram
antec 500w smart power psu
big antec case
heatsink and fan

the stuff i alredy had:
p4 2.8ghz cpu......at 3.4g now
radeon 9700 pro
hdd, drives ect

If your processor is a northwood you should be ok to raise voltage but if you have a prescott I'd look into getting some aftermarket cooling especially since you don't know the temperature

Look in the BIOS for options to change the FSB speed and vcore/CPU VID...you may also be overclocking your ram so I suggest you run dividers or start loosening timings...you need to run prime95 every time you increase the clockspeed and increase vcore as it fails

ok, im doing the prime 95 think, ive looked round my bios but cant find any options to change the fsb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom