PCIE problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forchunet

In Runtime
I just finished building a friends computer.

Unfortunately EVGA decided not to ship the pcie power cord with the 6800gs card (seems to be a common problem after checking newegg reviews).

Anyways I went ahead and installed windows and everything booted up fine. I went and installed the nvidia drivers. Keep in mind this is with an unpowered vid card. WEll after the the drivers were installed windows restarted. Then there was a pop up saying the drivers were temporary set off until the vid card could be powered.

So well I put in my request with evga and Im thinking everything is fine.

Recently however when I try to start up and goto windows i can only get past the post screen. After that the screen just turns black. I've tried booting from disc and reinstalling windows but I cant get back to the partition screen.

Is this a hardrive problem? Was it possibly a bad windows install? If so how can I "clear" the hardrive and reinstall windows? Or is this a case of me just needing the power cord?

thanks any help woujld be appreciated.

You could try booting into Safe Mode which ignores the video drivers anyway, which seem to be causing your problem.

To get into safe mode, hit F8 repeatedly as your computer is booting up.

By the sounds of it, your drivers are trying to run the vid card too hard for the lack of power that it is getting, even without it having to process 3D stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom