Question on Vertical Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenfoot

In Runtime
Just for fun, I turned on "Wait for Vertical Sync" on Counter-Strike: Source. After turning on, gameplay seemed ALOT smoother and less choppy. Also, my fps remained VERY constant at a 60 fps. Is this supposed to happen? Even when I'm in close combat, my fps would go to 80fps max, and even in big outdoor maps like de_aztec, my fps would STILL be 60. Before I turned Vertical Sync on, my frames would go up to 130 frames in close combat, and drop down to about 30 in big maps. I tried looking at fps_max XXX in console; its set at 300, so nothing's wrong there in the commands.

Vertical Synchorization

A setting in so many modern games that lets the game automatically detect the refresh rate of your monitor and uses it to limit the framerate you get in the game. This can reduce the horizontal tearing you get when you're getting a framerate that is higher than the refresh rate of your monitor, thus making your framerate very stable and looks smoooooth.

Nice explanation. I always have v-sync on but never really understood what it did, I just knew that the game looked better. Thanks

Yes, it did help. Thanks. No wonder my framerate is always at 60; my monitor's refresh rate is 60hz

It really depends on a few things. Here's a little crash course. Here's how it works.

A Frame Buffer is an area in VRAM where the GPU writes a frame and holds it until the monitor is ready to receive it; when it refreshes. The GPU, by default, uses 2 Frame Buffers, alternating between one and the other. With V-Sync enabled, the GPU writes to both buffers, but never overwrites until a Frame Buffer is freed by sending it to the monitor when it refreshes. With V-Sync disabled, the default setting, the GPU writes to both buffers, not caring if it overwrites or not. The GPU can even send out a frame if itÂ’s in the middle of overwriting it, causing artifacts known as tearing. Since the GPU cannot overwrite with V-Sync enabled, it has to wait, meaning itÂ’s wasting power and writing less average frame rate. The GPU doesnÂ’t wait with V-Sync disabled so it writes as fast as possible for optimal performance.

With V-Sync enabled, you will experience jumps in frame rates if your frame rate falls below your monitorÂ’s refresh rate. Say your refresh rate is 60Hz; you will notice jumps from 60fps down to 30fps. A jump like this is very distracting. With V-Sync disabled, you will notice tearing, which is when part of the screen shows part of one frame and the other shows part of another frame. This effect is very easy to see in scenarios where there is flickering light in a game. This effect is more prominent on a LCD than on a CRT but it is noticeably decreased when the average frame rate falls below your monitorÂ’s refresh rate.

Triple Buffering is an attempt to fix the jumps in frame rates that occur with V-Sync enabled by allocating a 3rd buffer in VRAM. It works well, except for a few details. Not all applications support Triple Buffering in Direct3D. Because Triple Buffering uses 50% more VRAM, you may have to lower your graphics settings in order to free up VRAM for Triple Buffering. It may also introduce mouse lag which may cause a negative gaming experience.

Whether you leave V-Sync enabled or disabled is based on personal preference about which disadvantage you can withstand more. I donÂ’t mind the tearing with V-Sync disabled, especially if my average frame rate is below my monitorÂ’s refresh rate, so I favor V-Sync disabled due to smoother frame rate.

Thanks for that, are you a professor in all things tech?. LOL. I personally prefer v-sync enabled as I have a LCD 17" monitor with a 12ms response time and you can see the screen tearing, which I really hate.

well, usually if you disable it and change the monitor refresh rates that will sometimes solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom