Blow Hole Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
mine went fairly well, i put a exhaust 120mm fan on my top of the case, untill i got a new case. i used a rotary drill for it, since my dads a mechaninc i found it relatively easy to drill a hole into it and also the top panel of my case removes this may help you instead of using a drill. this tool
my custom blowhole
CIMG0462.jpg

additional dusty images

I was looking into the hole saw method but wanted to put a 92mm fan in there.. yes I will buy a gril to go over it so I don't have to be "perfect" but I need to know what size hole saw a 92mm fan needs? I have been told you want a few mm's so you can do the filing and sanding off..

Also I am going to see if I hvae room but hole saw size first? hehe

anyway from what I have seen a lot of people say if it has rivets leave it.. my only concern is am I going to need a lot of pressure? if I do need a lot of pressure I don't want any bends or creases... so I may have to remove the top with the rivets.. my dad has all the power tools/mechanics tools needed but I don't know what size holesaw... The rotozip is extremely powerful I could probably get away with slowly cutting out with that.. but i rather use the hole saw

anyway I don't want this too be so long.. so any more tips? I heard that you should tape off the whole section to reduce tearing/scratching and any marks on the other part of the case.. I will do that.. also will I be fine with just cutting the hole.. putting the fan in the case than putting a grill on the outside and screwing them together.???

Okay few short things to add..

I have used plenty of powertools.mechanics tools/etc.....

how do I make my signature a smaller font??? I don't like it so large in the way :/

crossphyr said:
I was looking into the hole saw method but wanted to put a 92mm fan in there.. yes I will buy a gril to go over it so I don't have to be "perfect" but I need to know what size hole saw a 92mm fan needs? I have been told you want a few mm's so you can do the filing and sanding off..

Also I am going to see if I hvae room but hole saw size first? hehe

anyway from what I have seen a lot of people say if it has rivets leave it.. my only concern is am I going to need a lot of pressure? if I do need a lot of pressure I don't want any bends or creases... so I may have to remove the top with the rivets.. my dad has all the power tools/mechanics tools needed but I don't know what size holesaw... The rotozip is extremely powerful I could probably get away with slowly cutting out with that.. but i rather use the hole saw

anyway I don't want this too be so long.. so any more tips? I heard that you should tape off the whole section to reduce tearing/scratching and any marks on the other part of the case.. I will do that.. also will I be fine with just cutting the hole.. putting the fan in the case than putting a grill on the outside and screwing them together.???
You won't need to put alot of pressure to cut the hole, just apply slight pressure to keep the bit from walking and let the saw do the work, the less pressure you apply, the cleaner the cut will be.

I didnt want to have to drill 44 holes for screws so i used some liquid nails epoxy to basically glue my fans in place. Works perfect. Now my only problem is that a couple of the fans arent as brigth as the others...

So that'll be a project for a rainy day to get em off and replace em.

PLease when your done post some pics so we can see what you did.

not true, the more pressure you apply, to an angle will make the cleanest cut although putting tape around the cut area wont prevent or make much of a difference in the tearing/scratching. the tools youll be using will be quite dangerous and the slightest slip will make a scratch tape or not. and tape only works for acrylic products and similar types and glass product. if i knew what case you had and the finish gloss on it i could ask my dad and he could give you the best tip for cutting a hole in the top. he did mine. we made a octagon shaped hole and then just drilled 4 holes for the screws to go in the fan and used washers under each to give it alittle lift so if it ever got out of its centrifigul rotation wont hit the case.

aspire.comptech said:
I didnt want to have to drill 44 holes for screws so i used some liquid nails epoxy to basically glue my fans in place. Works perfect. Now my only problem is that a couple of the fans arent as brigth as the others...
You went through all that work to mod your case the way you did, a few more minutes to do it the right way wouldn't have hurt, but no sense in crying over spilled milk, huh? Hopefully it won't be too much of a pain to get em off and replaced. Good luck

�ArchOAngel� said:
not true, the more pressure you apply, to an angle will make the cleanest cut although putting tape around the cut area wont prevent or make much of a difference in the tearing/scratching. the tools youll be using will be quite dangerous and the slightest slip will make a scratch tape or not. and tape only works for acrylic products and similar types and glass product. if i knew what case you had and the finish gloss on it i could ask my dad and he could give you the best tip for cutting a hole in the top. he did mine. we made a octagon shaped hole and then just drilled 4 holes for the screws to go in the fan and used washers under each to give it alittle lift so if it ever got out of its centrifigul rotation wont hit the case.
Well, I was a car audio installer for 9 years, and in my current job I assemble/modify/setup and deliver power wheelchairs and scooters, both jobs call on the use of a hole saw regularly for various reasons. Applying pressure when using a hole saw won't do anything but make it cut through the material faster, and cutting through sheet metal w/a hole saw tilted at an angle isn't recommended for a few reasons. Main one being that there is normally a drill bit at the center of the holesaw so if you get the bit throught the metal and then tilt the drill, you risk bending/tweaking the sheet metal. Also, once you get about halfway though it, you're gonna have one side pushing down on the metal while the other side is pulling it up, again, risking bending/tweaking the thin metal.

Using masking tape will absolutely help protect the immediate area from getting scratched or marred due to the metal shavings and adds a layer of protection against light impacts from screws, bits, etc, this is especially important if you have a case with a glossy finish. Not only does it only take seconds to apply/remove, but if it can help protect your item, why not do it?

Also, if you had cut the correct shape/size hole for your fans, you wouldn't have needed to add any washers like you did.

well I need to know what size hole saw for a 92mm fan ? I want a bit larger because I have the room(checked earlier)

I can give pics sometime tomorrow I hope why isnt there a stickied place for us to give pics of our pcs?

does anyone know how much one of these bits will send me back in money if I have to buy one, or should the rotozip work okay? that thing has some psycho rpms and cuts through drywall like its butter... obviously metal is a bit thicker but I think it could do the trick..

crossphyr said:
well I need to know what size hole saw for a 92mm fan ? I want a bit larger because I have the room(checked earlier)

I can give pics sometime tomorrow I hope why isnt there a stickied place for us to give pics of our pcs?

does anyone know how much one of these bits will send me back in money if I have to buy one, or should the rotozip work okay? that thing has some psycho rpms and cuts through drywall like its butter... obviously metal is a bit thicker but I think it could do the trick..
I don't know what size holesaw you'd need for that, maybe you can find some specs online, do a google search.

the holesaw would be the easiest way to go, you'd have to lack common sense to mess it up, if you used a dremel or a rotozip, you'd better be handy with it or it'll get the best of you. Not saying that they can't do the job, but it'll take more time and skill to get it done when you can knock it out quickly and easily with a holesaw. Expect to pay about $5-$10 for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom