having problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I have not got back to you on this. To much snowmobiling and other things going on. But I did try unhooking things and putting them back one at a time and changed the cables and settings to the CDrom and HDD and no change. It all starts like normal with the one real short beep, All the installed stuff comes up on the screen and the lights go through there sequence on the keyboard and floppy and CD rom but it still stops at verifying DMI data pool. The reset works but again it stoppes at DMI data pool------- and wont do anything else. restart with boot disk and win98 disk in it and same thing, goes until DMI data pool and no farther. So I am thinking it is a safe bet board is junk or I am missing somthing really stupid. I have a real big hammer in the shop to fix it for good with and get another board, but don't know what boards will work and have the wires hook up and take the same ECU. Is it possible the prom chip is the problem? The DIMM works fine in another PC I have, along with CDrom and floppy drive. Hard drive tests good to. TomW

Much better if someone here can define and explain what a DMI data pool is all about.

thats not me.of course
DX

Watch your Ram. If you are using a DDR format on an old SIMM or DIMM format it will give you this problem. Make sure you identify the motherboard you have and the FSB format you have.

TomW,

Have you noticed if it works differently based on how long it has been on or how long you have let it sit off? Like, does it work for longer after sitting off for a while?

Based on what I have read, it sounds like a mobo issue. Just a guess though.

I have let it sit over night with the it showing the same screen, It says verifying DMI data pool ------- at the bottom but it will not go any farther. The stupid thing is all the same kind of guts it came with eccept board is a ver 2.0 instead of a ver 1.1 M5ALA, and 500 CPU instead of a 400. All the plug ins worked in another old PC and CD rom and floppy worked in another PC. When I started it would not do anything but sit and make one long beep, now it goes this far but nothing I do will make it go any farther. I have a quantum program where I can copy OS from this PC to HDD from other PC but I don't think it would help. I have Books for both boards and it looks all the same eccept for 3 DIMM slots in the ver 2.2 and 2 slots in the ver 1.1. TomW

Cool site about DMI, Everyone seems to think it is a OS problem, I can't get it to go far enough to put on a OS. It won't react to any boot disk. I have updated drivers for the M5ALA board but if it won't run I can't do anything with it. Unless I use the Quantum disk program and copy the OS from this PC to the harddrive for the other PC and see if it helps. There are tons of boards on ebay but have no idea what would be a good one to replace the biostar one that will fit and hook up and still use my new AMD socket 7 CPU. TomW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom