Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannywilliam

Baseband Member
Hello guys/girls,

I need some advice and overall computer help. I need o know if something is possible and if it is possible wether or not its logical.

Ok, I know a bit about computers and enough to know not to buy a comp straight out of the store. ESPECIALLY a store like Wal-Mart and a comp made from HP. However, i had just moved and needed a comp and didnt have the means to buy one online or form a batter dealer. So, I broke down and coughed up $700 on an HP system 3 years ago. Now, its wast that bad and I didnt do TOO much anyway so it suited me fine I guess.

As time went on I wanted more because I began to game and do things that needed more power from a PC.

I will give you my system specs and then ask my question.

I have a:

HP Pavillion a335w

2.5 Ghz P4

256 MB of 2100 DDR (will be 512 on monday)

a GeForce2 MX/MX400 (HAHA, I know. comp doesnt have an AGP slot so I had to get this and it was cheap and the only PCI GPU available)

80 gig HD

I wiped the HP version of Windows XP and installed my own copy of XP Personal

CD Burner is decent

Just bought a Lightscribe DVD Burner thats on the way

onboard sound

onboard LAN

onboard 56k

basic floppy drive

yada yada yada

Ok, now while that isnt a downright AWFUL computer I think u guys can see whats wrong. My graphical capabilites are downright sad and this HP rigged MOBO is slower than crap. I think its actually UNDERclocked.

SO, my question is this:

Is it possible and will it even be to my benefit to buy ANOTHER MOBO (that supports the CPU, mem, ect...I have) and simply swap that one into this HP case and just retain all of the hardware I have onto it? Assuming it fits...
And then (when I get some cash) upgrade to a decent AGP graphics card.

I just dont have the money to buy a new tower and new components right now. I can afford a decent MOBO and thats about it. Its just that I have ran some benchmark utilities and it shows that I am getting beat in the graphics department by some systems running a 500 MHZ CPU and the same memory with a decent GPU! I cant run ANY top flight games!

Any suggestions other than buy a new system I cannot afford?

I've got one. If I were in your shoes, I'd get an FX 5500. It's the best video card available for PCI slots. It'll get the job done visually. Actually, it'll do a lot better than any MX series cards. I just installed one in a computer, and it played modern games surprisingly well. It's 55 bucks on zipzoomfly. Free shipping! eVGA was the brand I bought and it installed like a breeze. That 55 dollar video card can hold you off and allow moderate gaming till you can save up and buy a real machine.

Ryan

Thanks for the reply!

Well, I know alot of it has to do with having a PCI GPU....and a **** poor one at that! HAHA.

I have about 55 bucks to spend here so I think Im gonna go for that card instead of trying to fit all the hardware i have in this comp on another MOBO. i just dont know how proprietary my stuff is, ya know? I dunno if that would work anyway...

The safe bet is getting that card and that is actually the 3rd time I have heard decent praise about it.

I want to do the MOBO thing but mainly only for the AGP slot so I can get a good card later. It just scares me to try and force my hardware onto another MOBO with my lack of experience in that.

Thanks for the adivce!

no problem. I wouldn't worry about getting a new motherboard... It's an old processor, and you'd be building a system that's already outdated. There's not a lot of use in rebuilding something just for one extra feature. Start putting 10 bucks in a special place in your house, and in 18 months or so, you can build a nice machine that'll last you a while.

Ryan

very good way to look at it! I really should just pack the bits of extra cash I have in a coffee can and save up for a while.

Yeah, thanks man. Im gonna fork up the 55 and get that card for the time being.

Apprectaie it!

Danny

Actually, can u send me the link to that card? I couldnt find that card at that site at that price.

i found a 5200 but not a 5500. is that the card or am I missing it?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom