I got an SLI confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

riva16

Solid State Member
Ok, I've been looking for a new board with PCI Express X 2 so I can purchase a GeForce 7800 GT for now, and install another when I get enough. Anyway, every board I look at always supports SLI but for N Force 4 from what I understand. Its says, basically... "NForce 4 SLi." If there's no on board video like most of these boards are, (and thats where I'd figure N Force4 would be most likely), then my GeForce 7800 GT wouldn't work in SLi, correct? Only a N Force 4 card would... Will you help clear up my confusion? This is my first attempt at a build. I already made the mistake of ordering an AGP card before I even thought of SLi! Thanks,
Kyle

Well, SLI is pretty much a waste of money. But since it is your decision to do it, here's a few things to keep in mind.

Nforce4 is a chipset. It 'drives' the video cards. Onboard video has absolutely nothing to do with SLI. In fact, stay away from onboard video. It's virtually worthless. SLI is when you hook 2 identical cards together and they work together to enhance graphics more.

If you have an SLI board, the cards will run in SLI. Ignore anything about onboard video. It's irrelevent in your situation. Especially since you have or will have a 7800GT.

I hope I helped and didn't hurt.

Ryan

Helped a lot! I thought NForce4 was a weak "graphics card" a lot of companies used just so they could have on board video. I dunno. I did know it had nothing to do with SLi, but didn't... HArd to explain. So yeah, I'll definatly be going for 7800GT SLi... Gonna cost a fortune, but hey, pamper yourself... 500Gb oh SATA HDD space, and 4 Gb of DDR 400 RAM... Not to mention the 3700+... Jeez... Way too much. Too bad I already bought most of it...

I don't use XP, and this computer is for both gaming and music production. I need LOTs of RAM to load samples. I also have MANY programs running all the time becuase of it. So, I need RAM like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom