Slow "My Documents" folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedjunior

Daemon Poster
I've been having a problem with the "My Documents' folder for the past month. When I click the desktop icon to open it, it will open, but it comes up blank for a moment, the gives me the hour glass pointer while the folder itself is looking like its about to give me the "program not responding" message. This can go on for 5 seconds on up to 30 seconds, mostly more towards the 30 second mark. Processor use will shoot up to about 50% at this time, then go back down to 2-3% after its done "thinking". No other folders on the system have this problem. Once I'm actually in the "My Documents" folder, none of the folders inside it have that problem either. Memory is not an issue, and spyware/anti-virus programs are run 3x a week.

Re:

Hello,

I would check the health of your Hard Drive by doing a checking your disc. Go into command prompt and type chkdsk x: /r where x: is the drive in question.

You can't commence a chkdsk on an active partition...so it may well ask if you'd like the system to perform the scan the next time the system boots.

I would also recommend defragging your Hard Drive. Files may be heavily fragmented, which can decrease performance. Go to Start > Contol Panel > Advministrative Tools > Computer Management > Then click on Disk Defragmenter under storage in the left tree menu...then analyse and defrag the drive in question if required.

Done and done, tried those already. Like I said, it ONLY happens when I open the my docs folder. Opening any folder, or just going to My Computer>C: / everything else opens with out hesitation.

Desktop

Edit: when I get home from work I'll try accessing it from other point, see if it has the same problem, of it its isolated to just the desktop icon.

Sorry, I'm at work haha. I wont be home for about another 5 hours or so. I'll have to get back to you on it then. Thanks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom