The Clock Is Ticking on XP Home Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Arstechnica points out that mainstream support for Windows XP Home Edition is set to expire on December 30, 2006. There is no free extended support for consumer products under Microsoft's lifecycle policy. So that means users who want support, including security updates, are going to have to pay. Guess that's one way to convince (?) users to upgrade to Windows Vista, which is due out in the latter half of this year.

Win2K was released in 2000
XP was released in 2001

Win2K's support ended last year july (ish)
Xp should die sometime this year july (ish)

It's only a small difference but I thought it was always july wasn't it. The 5 year support cycle can be harsh most PCs sold today are XP home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XP Pro was released on ?????
XP x64 was Released on 2005
Server 2003 released on 2003
Server 2003 R2 released on 2005

I wouldnt worry about it harobikes, look at it this way, lesser used OS's are smaller targets for viruses. Once an OS is fully functional and relatively bug free AND gets the job done, why switch? How much support do you need? What do you NEED support for?

My hacked and stripped copy of XP doesnt even have windows update installed on it, alexa the internet surfing tracker has been removed as well. So have many of the other nasty little tricks shipped stock with XP. Now its stable and have no problems and no worries either.

I understand what you are getting hat horndude thats the argument with Linux less used means it is less exploited but it is different in a Windows envirorment. Some of the new bugs for XP and Vista in the future will effect the NT5.0 code base (Win2K) and then windows 2000 will not be patched leaving it wide open to attack.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060103-5891.html

XP Professional and Home are divided into two general product categories for Microsoft, namely business and consumer products. XP Professional, as a business product, will receive mainstream support for two additional years after the release of Windows Vista (whenever that may be). After that, Professional will have an additional five years of extended service (minimum), though this could be lengthened considerably if the OS update after Windows Vista does not ship within three years of Vista's debut.

Based on the current timeline and our own expectations for the launch of Windows Vista, we estimate Windows XP Professional Mainstream Support ending in late December 2008, with Extended Support ending in December of 2013. It could stretch out longer, but we don't expect the window to be more than two to three additional years. After the Extended Support phase is finished, online support (knowledge base, FAQ, etc.) will continue for 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom