Hardware Troubleshooting Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tragic

Solid State Member
1 year ago I purchased a GeForce Ti 4600 video card and worked great.

2 months later the cooling fan on the Card's CPU went out and burned it up. Comp crashed and I couldnt get it to reboot successfully.

Went and purchased a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, Video started working but no 3D and had video glitches in the Bios at Post. (Glitches were 2 vertical blocks 1/4" X 1/2" spaced every 1.5" in a grid across the screen.) Figured that when the video went it might have taken the MB with it. MB was an Asus P4B533 with 1.8 P4

Recently purchased a video card to help get my high end system going again. Card is a BFG GeForce FX 5900 128Meg (non-Ultra).

I installed the card in the old system and I was having the same 3D and Bios Glitches. I figured that I should get a new MB and CPU.

I replaced the MB with an 8X compliant Motherboard (Chaintech 9VJL3) and new 2.4 P4 CPU.

No change. Still have video glitches in Bios and no 3D.

Repartitioned and formated the HD with fresh XP Pro installation. No change.

New HD and fresh XP install. No change.

New Case with 420W PSU

Ran a Ram checker and the 512M stick I have in the system has 0 erros. However a previous stick of 512 was unusable. (Possibility of dammage to the MB again????)

This occurs with version 8.1 and 9.0b of Dirext X installed.

I have run Dxdiag.exe and it says that all the Direct x components are installed but when I run the tests I get a blank screen and sometimes a Memory Dump.

Everything is new on the system except the Monitor now.

I have a second system that is a bit lower in power that has absolutely no problems with this monitor so I dont think that is the problem.

I have also tried starting up the comp in "barebones" mode with only Video, Mouse, Keyboard and it made the problem worse. Now I cant get into windows at all and hooking up the rest of the hardware doesnt fix that anymore.

Any Ideas?

I only brought over the Ram and the Monitor. I only have one monitor but it works fine on my older system. I downloaded a Ram checker and tested both sticks I have. one was good, one was bad. I removed the bad stick but still get the errors.

This is the 3rd Install of the OS and DX. DX tests fail in both 8.1 and 9.0b

Is it possible that the Bad stick could have dammaged my MB to the point of this type of failure?

When I initially installed the videocard on the old MB could that have dammaged the Card?

I have a new videocard coming sometime later this week. Depending on how fast BFG can get it shipped out of the warehouse. I just dont want to install it on this MB if it is just going to fry it again. If I had someone nearby that would let me install this card on thier comp I could test it that way.

Anyone out there in the Colorado Springs area?? hehe

are you using the same hard drive? with the same OS install? you might try installing new drivers, or reinstalling your OS

This is actually the Third HD with a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP1 with full updates.

Is it possible for a Bad stick of Ram to Physically dammage the Motherboard. And I dont mean causing bad installations or software problems. I mean physical dammage that would prevent the operation of the computer from Post.

Also, Is it possible that the old MB dammaged my new Video Card when I installed it the first time?

Ok thats alot of good news. If there was any dammage to the video card it was from the old motherboard. So I should be safe installing the new card on the new Motherboard.

Great news. Turns out the Old Motherboard burned out the new Vidoeo card. Replaced that and everything works great. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom