A very good overclockable pc for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddrm2k3

Solid State Member
This is a guide (actually more like a suggestion) for beginners who want to build an overclockable gaming pc and who are on a budget.

-Processor
--AMD - 2500+ xp-m
The 2500 Mobile is a unbelievable chip to overclock its just that not many people have noticed it potential. it flows electricity better, runs cooler, and runs at a lower vcore (1.45 compared to 1.65) to allow greater voltage for much higher oc's. I personally have overclocked a 2500 Mobile to 2.7 ghz with a slk 947u heatsink(equal to about a 4 ghz P4 w/o HT). A simply amazing chip. Plus its at a very budget friendly price.
--Intel
The 2.4C with hyperthreading is probably one of the best P4 chips to overclock. The reason this is better that the 2.6c and 2.8c is because the stock speed uses a lower fsb than the other two. This gives you more room to increase the fsb to achieve greater speeds. A 2.4c overclocked to 3.2 will process faster than a 2.8 overclocked to 3.2 ghz.

-Mobo
--AMD
---NF7-2 V2.0 or DFI Lanparty
i dont have too much to say about these. Great features, some of the best ive found for overclocks.
--Intel
---ASUS P4C800 V Deluxe and ABIT IC7
---Once again not much to say about these except they are great at overclocking. have seen people with HIGH 3's with air cooling and low 4's with peltiers and vapochills.

-Memory
--Kingston Hyper X (BH5)
---I'm not sure if you'll be able to find the bh5 hyper x with the 2,2,2 timings cause the chip maker that supplied them with the bh5 chips went out of business. still a good memory either way. Said to be as good as Mushkin but a little cheaper
--Mushkin
---This is as good as it gets. Search high and low for Mushkin lvl 2 blacks. The best you can buy but it will cost you a little. If you cant find that you can get the new "222" specials from mushkin.
--Cosair
---Another very good memory. The XMS Pro series is awesome.

-Cooling
--Ah. What I consider to be the single most important thing with a computer.
---Air- the Thermalright slk series is the best heatsinks you can buy . you have to check their sight though to find out if the heatsink will fit on your motherboard cause they are bigger than all others.
Water- i dont bother with this cause i can get just as good with air. There is one exception and that is when you are using peltiers

-Hard Drive
--SATA drives are the best performance for a small price. if you have money to blow of course go with a scsi. it will make even the slowest systems fly. also whatever you get try to get two of and them RAID them.

thats all i can comment on for now. i need to get to work cause i have C++ program due tomorrow at 9 AM and i havent even started to write it yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom