not-so random freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rephistorch

Solid State Member
Ok so my cousin was having computer issues, and me being the tech-guy in the family said I'd try to help him at least find out what was wrong. So whenever you turn his computer on from being off for a while it only runs for like 2 minutes, and then it locks up (no reboot). Then if you try to turn it on again it runs for about 1 minute and a half. then for 1 minute.... and so on until it finally just doesn't do a whole lot of anything when you turn it on. I'm thinking it's a heat issue... but when i boot it and go into the bios to see when it freezes... the processor is at 45C which I thought was really weird. We already have cleaned the heatsink of any dust, took everything out of it except the CPU and a RAM stick (onboard video) to no avail. It does this even with these parts taken out. It's not the power supply because I have a few backups that i tested on his machine and it still locked up. Maybe it's his motherboard, maybe it's a his CPU or maybe it's his RAM... I don't really know for sure. I'd like to think it's his motherboard or RAM because those are the cheapest parts. OH and his CPU is an AMD 2700+

EDIT: also he only has one stick of RAM and I myself dont have any 184-pin ram (I have DDR2)... also have cleard CMOS... I have also felt the heatsink to insure that it wasn't giving me a faulty read on the temperature

I already said how often it locks up... it locks up like i said no matter where I'm at or what im doing like this 2 minutes for first boot and then shorter for every other boot until it just freezes the second i turn it on. When i said it was at 45C and that i thought it was weird, i meant that it wasn't hot and i was sure heat was the culprit.

When you went to the BIOS to look at the temp, did you wait around for it to get up to normal idle temp? Usually it'll gradually increase by a nice few degrees after it's been running a few minutes.

'Cause this really seems like a heat issue.

To the second question: Yes it will freeze up in BIOS.... to the first question it was 45C when it froze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom