Ruined my 6600GT tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdawg

Daemon Poster
Bought it 6 or 7 months ago for $155 or so, prices really aren't going down on the 6600GT.

Anyways, I thought it'd be cool to overclock it, but I my idle temps were 52 and I was about 75 under load, so I bought the Zalman VF700 for it.

Removed my old fan, installed this monster fan, and they did say it takes up a PCI slot, but it takes up a PCI slot and then some.

I have my PCI-E slot, then a PCI slot below it, and then firewire cables below the PCI slot that connect to the motherboard.

I started my computer without realizing that those cables were blocking the fan. I didn't realize because it was a tight fit next to the PCI slot below it, then the cables, then my soundcard below that and I was just in a hurry to go test it out. So I basically turned on my PC with no fan for my video card, screen flashed for a second then went black.

There's my story of how I screwed myself out of a $200 investment tonight.

That shouldn't have done anything really, I can run my 6600GT with the Zalman cooler with no fan and it works fine. I think there may be a short circuit or something, try reseating it maybe. Also did you remember to plug the power back into the card when you replaced it?

If you did ruin it, stick the old heatsink on, and send it back for a replacement.

Did you remember to put on thermalpaste?

Have you turned it on since?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom