Tech Career

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIN

In Runtime
I'm looking to get into IT. I'm currently a compter Operator and is going nowhere. We get no respect. I am moving, so a career change my be in the mix. Am I better off changing my career or hunting for another entry level job that I will have to fight a guy with a BS degree for. BTW, I only have an Associates in networking. My other love is cars. If I went to school for Automobiles I could have successful hobbies instead of my barely running mustang.

My point is the industry is flooded and I have a puny degree. My plan was to go to a university and get a BS or Masters in CS. I'm just afraid going to end up in some crappy help desk position. I've seen it happen several times.

What do you guys think.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

NIN said:
I'm looking to get into IT. I'm currently a compter Operator and is going nowhere. We get no respect. I am moving, so a career change my be in the mix. Am I better off changing my career or hunting for another entry level job that I will have to fight a guy with a BS degree for. BTW, I only have an Associates in networking. My other love is cars. If I went to school for Automobiles I could have successful hobbies instead of my barely running mustang.

My point is the industry is flooded and I have a puny degree. My plan was to go to a university and get a BS or Masters in CS. I'm just afraid going to end up in some crappy help desk position. I've seen it happen several times.

What do you guys think.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Depends what your passion is. If it is computer science, go for the BS or masters. I am sure you will be able to find a job, I would not worry about it. Specially if you got a masters. I dont think you will be able to move up as you said with your current degree. So your options probally are going back to school and getting the degree if you really want to get a good job in the industry.

I really don't want to be a grease monkey with a missing finger. Plus I don't want to get dirty everyday at work.

My passion will always be hot cars but working on them is another story.

Maybe you could get into sales of cars or something or even in the industry at a plant?

My dream is racing, but that doesn't usually make money it takes money. Working at a track would be fun. Pit crew would be awesome.

I have a friend that races in some local league thing, I have no clue what they call it. But yeah, he is always rebuilding his car etc.

NIN,

If you want to upgrade to a BS check out www.uml.edu. UMass Lowell offers a 100% online BS in Information Technology. I just graduated from there last spring. It is a 100% legit BS and is no different from the thousands of kids that attended the University in person. I even went to the graduation and donned the cap and gown (I knew nobody though). I've been working full time but still managed to do 2 to 3 classes per semester.

I had two years in Electrical Engineering prior to that from a community college and all of my credits transferred. I highly recommend getting a BS. It's not like the good 'ol days when experience was everything. Educational institutions are developing career path programs for IT and employers are more frequently looking for that base. It'll only help you in the long run, especially when you get to the manager/director level.

Honestly, the only way to get a good and stable career is to get at least a BS degree. You need a four year degree to look attractable in the applicant pool. Then, you can decide if you want to further by doing a MS or MBA, or whatever. That's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom