built new dual core comp, having problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich05

Beta member
ok, here is my setup i just bought. AMD x2 3800+, EVGA geforce 7800gt OC, abit kn8 ultra mobo nforce4 ultra, 1 gig of corsair value select ram, windows xp home. i basically have the same setup as my friend except he has different ram and windows pro. well when we play games, his performance blows mine away. we can stand in the same spot in a game and look at the same thing and his fps will be 30+ higher than mine. we have the same video drivers. i dont understand why i dont come close to his performance.

now i have read the windows xp home doesnt support dual core processors and i have heard that it supports it just fine. who do i believe? im really upset with my performance. i have the latest BIOS, mobo chipset drivers, video drivers, cpu drivers, etc. im not happy at all. what can i do?

it could be your power supply that aint got enough power to push your rig

or the spyware+virus+trojan

or havent-been-defragged-since-1997 hard drives

really, there is a lot of stuff.

Does he have more RAM?

How many processes does he have running and same for you.

After SP2 it does support dual cores - apparently, but it is still as dumb as pro is with it. Set one core to run programs and the other for everything else. Have you got the same resolution set?

he told me that his computer is not overclocked. he does use corsair xms ram with 2-2-2-5 timing and 2 ca latency. my ram has 3-4-3-8 and 2.5 cas latency. i do know this can have a pretty good increase in performance from my current ram, but would it add that much?

and yes we use the same resolution. 1024x768. best for competitive gaming, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom