My computer will not load windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloman02

In Runtime
ok, the most recent change my computer wnet through, was i installed diablo 2 and LOD the expansion. that was about 4 days ago. today i installed it on another computer in the hopes that i could give another character some stuff that i had found. it said that it could not connect to battle.net so i quit d2(this was on a diff computer) then after 3 hours, i came back to my computer and tried to go onto battle.net, and it said it couldn't connect. so i restarted my computer. this is where my problems started. first it stopped at verifying dmi pool data. i finally figured out that i had a blank floppy in the drive. i took the disk out and rebooted. then i got to the "there was a problem loading windows...." screen asking me what i wanted to do. ichoose normal and nothing happened(in essence, it froze). so i hit the reset button again and then i choose last known config that worked and all i got was a black screen. i put in my pro disk, but in order to do a restor i need a restore floppy, which i do not have :(. so what could possibly be wrong? i even reset the cmos to defaults.

i have thought about reformatting since i was stupid and transfered stuff from my last comp over and it made most of the filenames in my windows folder turn blue(virus maybe?) so i have a reason to reformat, but i would really like to back up some files before i reformat. i am out of ideas. my sig has all the info you need.

safe mode will be the best option, if still nothing after the system restore, you can run a windows repair w/ your cd, boot from it press enter like if you were gonna run a fresh install, agree to the terms by pressing f8, but here comes the trick part, (if not done properly you will loose all your info) windows setup will look for a previous install of windows, if found it will give u an option to press 'r' for repair.

I wouldn't reformat. If safe mode doesn't work then I would re-install windows under a different folder (e.g. WINNT2). This would at least allow you to backup your files and then you can re-format the drive and re-install windows fresh!

Good luck!

i did what was posted above, i put the pro cd in and went to setup and choose repair. everything worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom