Gaming rig ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboomer

Solid State Member
Hi there, im currently looking to upgrade my rig, or buy a new one. First, specs on my current machine -

Athlon XP 1700+
256MB Ram
Geforce 2 Ti64mb,
MSI KT266 *I believe* mobo...

Is there any way to salvage it ? Or should I try to sell it and get a new 64bit processor and 1gb ram ?

Also, where can I find cheaper gaming rigs ??

Meh, im not sure if you can reuse anything. Except the cdroms, hdd's if they are big enough, case maybe.

you can build your own using newegg and zipzoomfly or you can check out monarch customize your own rig.

Whats your new budget ? :D

With a 1.2 conversion (I think thats the Canadian dollar currently) about $830 USD or $1000 canadian, without monitor (already got it)...

It's all basically bolt together if you buy it in parts correct ??

Is this rig a good deal for $929 Canadian ($774 USD)- http://a-power.com/sys/ap1-gamer.asp

Bigboomer said:
Is this rig a good deal for $929 Canadian ($774 USD)- http://a-power.com/sys/ap1-gamer.asp

That looks like a good rig that should do you quite well EXCEPT the power supply. Antec makes good PSUs but 350 watts is too low for what you will need to run it. You need at least 450 watts that supplies 30A on the 12v rail (s). Whatever you do, don't go cheap on the psu because it is the backbone of every system. See what an upgrade would cost you and then save until you can afford it. Again, I really like the motherboard, the processor, etc., EXCEPT the power supply.

GoodNews101 said:
That looks like a good rig that should do you quite well EXCEPT the power supply. Antec makes good PSUs but 350 watts is too low for what you will need to run it. You need at least 450 watts that supplies 30A on the 12v rail (s). Whatever you do, don't go cheap on the psu because it is the backbone of every system. See what an upgrade would cost you and then save until you can afford it. Again, I really like the motherboard, the processor, etc., EXCEPT the power supply.

That antec PSU would run the system, but you couldnt add much to the system.

I think building from newegg.com is your best bet. I would reccomend www.ibuypower.com you can customize your rig and its already built. Really good deals too. Although i don't know if you can do that since you are in Canada. You usually buy it in US dollars but i am not positive.

I would get the MSI K8N NEO4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Corsair valueselect 1GB
eVGA 6800GS
Antec truepower 480W/550W power supply
Any case
80GB hdd or however big sata150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom