6600gtagp->7800gt pcie upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah.

And I have a 7800gt, and it gets on average twice as much FPS than my 6800 did. Excellent card from Nvidia, and well worth the price. I got mine at the same price as a AGP 6800gt. :p

new.puree said:
so what does this mean
36amps available on the 12V rails.
???

Your system runs at 12volts, So You want to have at least 25 amps available at 12volts.

(For example) Some cheapo PSUs will say they have 600watts but then you will find out they only have 18amps at 12volts (that's bad because you want at least 25amps at 12 volts) My 430watt Antech has 32amps at 12volts (that's good)

What does this mean, Well... basically the 430 watt PSU is more powerful than the 600watt cheapo PSU, BUT the 430watt PSU only will put out 430watts.

So basically anything under 25amps at 12volts is no good, so don't buy it;)

But what are amps and watts and volts?? Wtf? Well, they are measurements of electricity, obviously...volts are basically the pressure applied by an electrical circuit...volts cant hurt you...they are a potenial measurement....amps, on the other hand are the actual flow of electrons through a circuit; like volume of water through a pipe...the pressure is volts (psi) and the volume (how much is actually moving) is amps....amps can hurt you......that said, computer psu's wont produce more than 12 volts, so how many amps is the important measurement...so, more amps the better!....and watts are a measured value of volts x amps...so 12 volts x 32 amps = 384 watts!! Dont know if you care or undertstand but thats the electrical technician in me :]

That can't be right, as my PSU is rated at 360watts on 12v rail with 38 amps, which is 456watts - unless that is a peak?

No, that's exactly how watts are determined, but the way they rate these PSU's is inconsistant. That's why you see flakey power supplies with awesome ratings and unbelievable prices.

Ryan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
No, that's exactly how watts are determined, but the way they rate these PSU's is inconsistant. That's why you see flakey power supplies with awesome ratings and unbelievable prices.

Ryan

Ya, flakey....i like it......like a spanakopita...hehe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom