Motherboard help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see the windows xp product key on the back of the computer. Why would that be illegal if I own the rights to that product key of window? If I borrow someones discs can I just use that key?

stephen_s said:
Thanks for the responses. So the recovery discs definitely won't work? Even if I did borrow windows xp from a friend wouldn't I need a different cd key than him?

No your recovery CD will most likely not work.

However borrowing a CD from a friend will work, and you can use your legal CD key to install windows. However I think this is technically illegal, but nobody really cares. Your PC appears as a legal version ect.

I am reinstalling the processor now and the motherboard booklet says I need to apply thermal paste on it. I don't have any. Do I need to put more thermal paste on it or can I just put it back the way it was?

Well since you are using the same heatsink it might have thermal paste already on it and on the processor. Check the heatsink/fan and the proc. If it has thermal paste on it already than you can just go ahead and put it back on but if some got wiped off or something than i would suggest going to the nearest store and pick some up it shold cost around 5 bux depending on whihc kind you buy.

It still has some on it. I just took it off and haven't touched the paste. So it shouldn't cause any problems to put it back on?

Thanks for all the help!!! I just finished putting everything in and booted it and got to the bios. I am going to try to borrow the windows discs tomorrow. I hope it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom