Why did me drive letters get screwed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Threepwood

Daemon Poster
Ok well I got my 6800gs and decided to reformat windows with RAID 0 on 2 of my hard drives. Well I've done that now but for some reason my windows drive is now F, and my storage is c :(. This kind of bugs me, will it make installing stuff difficult because it tries to put in on c or do programs automaticly detect the windows drive. Is there any way to change it, i tried in drive management but there it wont let you change the windows drives letter.

edit: Also when I try and install nvidia drivers it says my hardware isnt compatable, wtf?

Opps typo, meant my. Anyways I think I will have to reinstall windows yet again, but why wouldnt the nvidia drivers install?

hmm, the nvidia frivers can come down to according to your sig, no nvidia hardware, an ati gfx card & intel chipset the Intel 875P Chipset to be exact so get your chipset drivers & the Ati catalyst drivers, you probably have the master slave set up incorrectly, the Primary master is almost ALWAYS C, are you running RAID through the mobo or a card? because if its a card & the storage hdd is primary master there is your solution.

The_Tobes99 said:
hmm, the nvidia frivers can come down to according to your sig, no nvidia hardware, an ati gfx card & intel chipset the Intel 875P Chipset to be exact so get your chipset drivers & the Ati catalyst drivers.

:Ddont you read the whole post. LOL he said he got a 6800GS.:D

ok yeah you probably just got the master and slave mixed up like tobes said.

Alright heres an update. Im reinstalling windows for a second time today this time i had to completely erase my non raided 250 gig drive. I selected to install it on my 76gb raided raptors and now for some reason it chose to format my 250 gb drive. Hopefully it will actually install it on my 76 gb drive. If it doesnt I guess I will unraid them.

Im thinking the reason it didnt detect my gfx card is because the hardware profiles wernt on the c drive because windows wasnt on the c drive. Hopefully that fixes it.

How bad is it for hard drives to be formatted repeatedly, I know it has to read and write to every sector so is this really killing my drives?

I'll change the sig when I get windows working, right now im on someone elses computer.

Ok the problem forsure now is that it wont let me install windows on the RAIDed drives. When i select it it forces me to partition the other one for some reason and then proceeds to install windows on it. Why cant I intall windows on the raided drives?

It says the master boot record is on the 250 gb drive or something, how do I force it to install windows on the other ones?

All right this is truely a retarded problem that has to do with stupid software somewhere. Once I unplugged the 250gb ******* the windows installation went fine and it didnt complain about no MBR. Now the question is how do i go about getting that 250gb in? If I just plug it in will I be ok or will it potentially cause damage to my other installation of windows. How does it know what drive is the main drive with windows on it, and how do I set my 250gb drive to not be that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom