• Strawberry milkshake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other ( to many to list)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
gaara said:
Ah well, I'll leave it up for a while and possibly get some people to test it tomorow, and I will talk with the administration and see if they can't get something going

I honestly personally wouldn't mind a faster connection myself however 256K Cable is the fastest connection availible here...can't wait for fiber optics

256k upstream and downstream?

For 50$ / Month you can get 4 Meg / 800K DSL as well ya know :D

I believe it's both upstream and downstream last I checked but don't quote me on that...I see the server had a few problems loading several files when it was switching maps so I'll have to look into that later

I got two people in the server at least at once, one reported lag, the other did not

For 50$ / Month you can get 4 Meg / 800K DSL as well ya know
Which ISP is that? I've actually just looked up Rogers now and it seems they have the extreme connection which features 6MB down / 800K Up which would be more than enough...I really do want to start getting into webhosting though and am looking at a plan including numerous IP addresses, specifically static at that if it only be one

If you join the server, just press Y and write out your ping so I can check it in the console...I might be upgrading my ISP though assuming I can get it to fit the budget :D

I would be interested in organizing a dedicated game server.
Say 16 slots, to start. There would need to be some donations though. You can get slots at about 3 to 4 dollars a month.
So if you donate $25 you get 1 years unlimited acces to the TF server. We would need about 32 people to donate $25 to pay for the year. The more that donate, the more slots, or more servers we could open. May-be we could set up a paypal account or something? I'd be down for sure... I'd buy a few slots...

I think you should have a BF2: Special Forces Dedicated Server. or a CS 1.6 dedicated server.
if u do make a server (Which u will) you should put a password on it and send out that password to people only subscribed on Tech Forums and have accesed their account recently, or just to people that have posted on this topic. Then the server won't be crowded and the latencey (ping) should be low.

Sinci

sinci said:
I think you should have a BF2: Special Forces Dedicated Server. or a CS 1.6 dedicated server.
if u do make a server (Which u will) you should put a password on it and send out that password to people only subscribed on Tech Forums and have accesed their account recently, or just to people that have posted on this topic. Then the server won't be crowded and the latencey (ping) should be low.

Sinci

I think only those that have donated towards the cost of the server should get access. I'm interested and will get one going, but i'm not going to pay for the whole thing myself. If there is enough interest in creating a paypal account and donating a set fee towards the server, i'll be more then happy to set it all up and be an admin... we'll need other admins too.

I'm trustworth, i'm not going to steal anyones money. It wouldn't be enough to make it worth my while anyway.. lol.

but, seriously.. if anyone is interested... PM ME.

I'd be mostly interested in a BF2 or CS:S server. But, i'm open to others as well. CERTAINLY UNREAL2007 when it's available...

I don't like the idea of donations being mandatory to join the server...I will setup a paypal account and if people are willing to donate out of their own freewill then good for them...however muchlike the forum I think I'd rather keep it a free service

If any donations do come in...half of them should go to forum administration and other other half can go to ISP expenses IMO

As far as password protecting the server, part of the idea of this is to get a bit of free advertising for the forums out there...therefore anyone is allowed to play...in addition to that, if we restricted the server to only those on the forum it wouldn't be very active at all

A donation that would be best right now though is any spare hardware you have to offer...IMO a dual P3 or Athlon MP machine would make a very good dedicated server, I can host one game on one processor and another on the other...then I can use the Duron I currently have as a secondary temporary server...for example, on Monday from 9-12 it can host CS, then on tuesday from 9-12 it can host a wolfenstein game etc.

FYI the CS:S is still up and running, if people can make time and join sometime around 9PM EST you can get a game going and I can test out the connection...if it's not good enough, I will talk with my ISP about getting 800K Upload link

Yeah, I see your point gaara... It's well taken.

Well, whatever... It's not the actually hardware i'm worried about... Heck I could serve hella games on my current PC, it's the actually bandwidth and pings i'm concerned about. Without a good solid fast connection, it's not even worth playing... My cable upload is over 900K.
It's optimum online. With a P4 3.4Ghz and about 2GIG of RAM, i'm sure I could host at least a 20 slot game. I'm not sure how my ISP would handle that though. My ping in BF2 is normally under 20ms.

But, if you think you're ISP is good enough, i'm game...

I'd much rather play on high speed servers to tell you the truth.
Especially Battlefield 2.

But, i'll work with you gaara to get this done right...
PM me if you're interested... i'll donate some cash to get this going.
Right now, i don't have any spare hardware. Let me know.

Ok I was wrong...seems like when the cable got upgraded as part of the package they also upgraded the internet on cable connection to 3000/800 which seems a little bit more promising

As I said, like the forum the server should be free, if you want to donate, be my guest but it shouldn't be neccesary since there's thousands of other free servers out there that you can just as easily play on

9PM EST please try and get on the server to test out the ping. IP is still 69.192.213.86

Yeah that's basically what i've got. Although i've tested at close to 4000/900, my ISP doesn't have a cap. I only pay $29.99 a month too.
Well, that's actually because I have a plan. $29.99 each (Cable TV, Broadband Phone, Online Service) It's just a tad bit over $100 a month. The phone is gret because I have unlimited FREE long distance anywhere in the USA, Canada & Puerto Rico.

Mhmmm...I still I'm not the best choice to host this though as the ISP probably doesn't want me hosting a server on the current plan and the connection is still pretty weak...we shall try and see how it goes and make the neccesary changes afterwards

I have a feeling most are going to get lag though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom