Computer won't boot up HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter861

Baseband Member
Hey everyone, here's my problem
when I turn on my computer, my monitor LED light starts at green but after a split second switches to orange (like normal) but then it never turns back to green to turn on. So my monitor never displays anything. This started after I played a game.
My computer froze at the desktop after I exited a game so I figured it was due to overheating possibly. So I turned off my computer to let it cool down. After I turned it back on, it froze again at the boot up screen where the windows XP logo appears and the progress bar scrolls from left to right a couple of times. So I turned it off for a while longer and now the whole deal with the monitor started. I've tried replacing the video card which didn't work and the monitor self test works fine when it is not plugged into the video card. But the second I plug it into the video card, the LED light goes orange. Any suggestions as to what could be causing all of this. PLEASE HELP!

not to sound stupid or anything :), but how do I clear the CMOS? Also, if at all possible, I do NOT want to have to wipe my hard drive.

EDIT: OK, well I disconnected everything except the cpu, ram, and video card. Didn't do the CMOS thing, but now I might have a new theory. When I press the power button, the PC only stays on for a split second then shuts off. I'm thinking that all of this may be caused by my power supply that may've just gone bad?

Nothing will be done with your harddrive.

You clear the CMOS by finding the small Lithium coin cell battery, (no bigger then a quarter), on your motherboard, you should be able to pop it out. There may be a small clip holding it on.

Before you open your case and do this, make sure the AC cord is out and that, you have grounded yourself, by touching a door knob or something.

You can put the battery back in after about 1-3 minutes. and then reboot, with only RAM, CPU and video card attached. Meaning all CD-Roms, harddrive, sound card, extra lights detach from motherboard and connectors.

OK, well I disconnected everything except the cpu, ram, and video card and I cleared the CMOS. Now I might have a new theory. When I press the power button, the PC only stays on for a split second then shuts off. I'm thinking that all of this may be caused by my power supply that may've just gone bad?

To test a power supply, disconnect it from everything but a few fans. Then take the 20/24 pin connector and use a paper clip to touch the 2 inner most Black and green wire together.

If the power supply is good, it should turn on. Unless your connecting the wrong wires.

OK, well now it's definitely not the power supply cause touching those two wires together worked. I'm at a loss now. :(

try one RAM stick at a Time, alternativily, you can try different RAM if you have back ups.

Take the video card out, blow out the slot, re incert it.

Try booting now, with only 1 Mem stick, Video and CPU only.

Ok, so far we have tried, clearing CMOS, with only CPU, Video card and RAM.

I want you to take your motherboard out of your case, place it on hard surface. try booting again, with only RAM, CPU and video card.

Make sure RAM video card, heatsink and CPU are all seated properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom