Replacing chipset fan, question

Status
Not open for further replies.

septoid2

Daemon Poster
This is my msi k8n neo4-f's chipset fan. It sucks. I'm pretty sure its out of oil or w/e and I can't figure out how to take off the fan to oil it up.
cefLSPgX42A.jpg

Sorry if its big. Anyways, how do I take OFF the hsf? I can't figure out how. I keep pressing the little buttons in and nothing happens. Its weird. Anyone have any advice?

On other terms, I want to buy this Vantec Iceberq to replace it. It's pretty cheap.
image-ccba1c.jpg

Will it work ?? How would I remount this?

Here is some info on this .You have to pull your motherboard out to get to the back.
MSI board looks like same setup, they use plastic pins with a barb on the end.Had to gently pull loose then pinch barbs with needle nose plyers on back side of MB.Cleaned with alcohol and q-tips,applied artic silver ceramique then set back on and pushed pins back through holes. I used the copper chipset fan #CCB-A1C

So I have to TAKE my motherboard OUT?

....Awww maaaan. I just finished with this sweet wiring job. :( I have a Sonata II so everything is a really tight fit.

Damnit.

Peel-back the MSI logo sticker and add 2 drops of oil.
If it still becomes a problem, then replace it.

Nice mobo.......... MSI makes good stuff. Other than the fan, do you like the board?
John

Yeah the board is pretty okay. Shortly after purchasing this board I learned that I'm never going to purchase another motherboard with active cooling.

And In response to your suggestion of peeling back the sticker, I already tried that. Thats the top of the fan, the oil hole is on the bottom. Ergo, I can't do that :(

Arrggg.. I really don't wanna take out the motherboard. :(

The hole is underneath......... hmmmmmm.
My fan became noisy about 1yr. ago; so I took the sticker off, and found the oil hole. These are very cheap fans, so you would think you would be able to oil them without disabling the mobo.
I just re-oiled my fan. I have two screws on top of the heatsink, so its not a problem to replace, if needed.
OK........ thanks for the mobo info.

I only buy MSI but the fans NB fans are a little flakey.Mine only makes a little noise when i boot up and then gets quiet.But other than that I love The bundle that comes with the board also...

Yeah MSI is solid though :p I'll never do business with em again haha. Nah I'm just kidding. I like the whole CoreCell thing.

I think I have a temporary solution. I'm gonna swing down to the local PC repair shop soon and pick up a zalman fanmate 2. That should work, right?

I'm 99% sure its gonna break within the next year so I'm going to buy an Iceberq JUST IN CASE :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom