Compact Discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
Compact Discs are very unrealiable and they get scratched easily. It seems that manufacturers are not aware of this because they will keep using the crappy format. They are developing blu-ray and HD-DVD, again using discs! At least blu-rays will also be offered in a cartridge, but still.

Besides that, CD's are very big, unhandy, noisy and take long to insert in a CD-ROM drive.

I recently imaged my entire CD-ROM collection to my hard disks and multiple CD's were unreadable. Even 2 official discs, not burned myself!

I have lost some important software due to CD failure. Unreadable. CRC errors... I never lost any data because of HDD failure. It happend twice, but I always had time to backup. At least HDD's mostly die slowly.

It also seems you have to use CD's from time to time to keep them working. I have this with my XP disc, burned it myself. It's a very old disc and still works perfectly. I store it at the same place I store all other discs and the others are getting failures. Maybe just a coincidence?

i do agree with you that cd's are bulky. i have a spindle of unused mini-cd's, but my cd burner doesnt work with them, but they are a nice alternative to regular bulky cd's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom