Could someone suggests me....Opteron146 or 3200+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noom

Baseband Member
Hi Guru,

1. I'm working about cad/cam/simulation on engineering programs and I was wondering if Opteron 145 dual core or higher can use on any 939 mobo , for example--my new MSI-K8NGM2-FID, without flashing the lastest bios or not. Because It was said support CPU Type Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64/Athlon X2 but not Opteron.(I'll build my own by starting with nothing).

2. Which one is the best for me, comparative with cost:performances, between;
Athlon 64 3200+ Venice(I bought it as $171, but I can return)
or
Opteron UP 146 2.0GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 1GHz FSB, Socket 939, 67W, 47.5A, PIB? http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=6224603&SourceID=k15506 . It's the same cost.

3.PIB is Processor In Box, right? Is it include Fan/Heatsink when they said Retail or PIB CPUs?

Thank you in advance.

if you can spare it, get the Opteron, its just a customised athlon 64, if you want a heatsink, get the retail, it only incluse processor & documentation

usually you have to flash the bios for dual core processors. It's not too complicated. You do this after you install windows. It'll read a single core processor until you do flash the bios, but it'll work. Only with half speed.

Ryan

Thank you so much, FghtinIrshNvrDi.

So, for Opteron single core processor such as 145 or 148, I don't need to flash the lastest version of mobo's bios, right? I just put CPU on mobo and it'll work. That's it. Am I right?

Your welcome BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL, but I'm not sure that price included Fan/Heatsink or not.

Where can I buy appropriate Fan/Heatsink for Opteron and total price cheaper than $245 which is total price from newegg?.

By the way! Does anyone can confirm that Opteron 145 or higher compatible with my mobo? Sorry for a lot of questions. I'm beginner.

You will be able to boot the PC without the flash, and you can flash it then. I have a 146 that OCd to 2.9GHz

Hey you know how the opteron says P.I.B. I know it means processor in box but does it like come in the retail box but they take out the heatsink/fan? Or how do they do it? What is all that it comes with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom