Athlon 2600+ (thoroughbred) vs. Sempron 3000 Both Socket A

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0dge

Hiphopapotamus.
I need to upgrade my comp. Current spec: Athlon XP 2600+ (2144Mhz), Aopen AK77-600GN, 1gb Corsiar RAM, ATI 9800 PRO (AGP).
I can only really afford to upgrade my proc, so what i'm really asking is "Is a Socket A Sempron 3000 (2.17Ghz) any better than my 2600, and if so, is it significantly better?"

Can't find much in the way of comparisons on the net anywhere, so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers guys,
Bodge.

PS. Tried OCing the Athlon and it'll only get as far as 2208Mhz, so no luck there!!

PPS. Anyone know how well Skt A Semprons OC? (Generally)

Hmm.. I have a sempron 2800+ socket A and i am not too impressed with it. I would be more happy to have your athlon xp so i could get more L2 cache. I would stick with the athlon xp. I don't know if it is my motherboard because its cheap or its just the proc. but my sempron cant overclokc for s**t.

hey, it's all in the mobile athlon XP's. Word on the street is that they're designed to run cool in laptops, so they go a long way overclocking.

Ryan

the P-rating tells you its performance against other chips. they're not like Celerons, where a 2.6 Celeron < 2.6 P4
a Sempron 3000+ = Athlon XP 3000+ = Athlon 64 3000+

apokalipse said:
the P-rating tells you its performance against other chips. they're not like Celerons, where a 2.6 Celeron < 2.6 P4
a Sempron 3000+ = Athlon XP 3000+ = Athlon 64 3000+

What do you mean by that because a sempron 3000+ isn't goign to have the same performance as an athlon 64 3000+. The cache is different and fsb. I am not saying you are wrong but i am just trying to figure out what you mean by that?

that's not true apokalipse. The 'p ratings' you're talking about don't work like that. The sempron's rating is comparable to a celeron clock speed. An Athlon's rating is comparable to a P4's clock speed.

Ryan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
that's not true apokalipse. The 'p ratings' you're talking about don't work like that. The sempron's rating is comparable to a celeron clock speed. An Athlon's rating is comparable to a P4's clock speed.

Ryan

yeah see that is what i was saying. that didnt make sense to me apokalipse. even though the sempron has a higher clokc speed it doesn't have as much L2 cache, and the FSB isn't the same. If what you said was the case than why would they sell an athlon 64 3000+ for $xxx and the sempron for only $xx. The sempron wouldn't be cheaper apokalipse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom