Help me push my Opty to 3GHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duplicity

In Runtime
My Opteron 148 is at 2915MHz and 3DMark05, 12 hours Prime95, and SuperPi stable at 1.450v. Idle temps are 25-28C and under load, 35C max. My RAM (Mushkin eXtreme Performance DDR500) is running at 208MHz on a 333MHz Memclock divider with the timings 3-4-4-8 I believe. So I still have plenty of voltage room, my RAM isn't holding me back, and my temperatures are awesome. At cpu frequency 273 (3003MHz) I can pass 3DMark05 and SuperPi, but I cannot seem to pass Prime95. I have raised my voltages to everything up to 1.50v, but still, no Prime95 pass. I could go to 1.55v, but would that make any difference since I am stable at 2915MHz with only 1.450v? Basically what I'm asking is if I've reached this CPU's max or if there is anything else to do?

You can go up to 1.6v. BTW those arn't your real temps (unless you are on water). The optys don't report the temps correctly. No matter what speed and voltage I use, I always have the exact same temps for mine.

On the Optys you reach a wall on it at one point and then you have to give a **** of alot of voltage to get passed it to OC it more. 2.9 is where i stopped but i prolly could have gone further. GL w/ that.

003, I have used several different temperature monitoring programs, all with the same result. Why don't the Opty's report the temps correctly? I'll try bumping the voltage to 1.6v.

I don't know why, but they just dont. I don't think the motherboards we are using are really made for opterons. Before you try 1.6v, try 1.525 and 1.55. I managed to get my 146 to boot at 3GHz with 1.65v, but then the PC froze on the desktop, and it didn't boot at all with 1.68v so I think I've hit my wall. 2.9GHz at 1.6v. Not bad. I still have the 146 from NCIX on the way, I will see how good that does. I will sell the one I don't want, and if it ends up being the one I am using now, it should sell pretty quick due to the fact that it does 2.9GHz on air :)

I'm also thinking that the temp is reading incorrectly. No way you're running 2.9 GHz and only 35° under a load on stock air. At least, I think you said it was stock a while back. :confused:

You've pretty much hit the wall...you aren't gonna see too much difference between that 85MHz and the excessive voltage you're pumping through to reach 3GHz really isn't worth it

Opterons don't like a lot of voltage...they go far on stock vcore and a bit further with a bit more (<1.5vcore) and then they pretty well stop climbing very high after that...1.55vcore would probably be best

Well its just being able to say you got 3GHz that's appealing :). First though, is there a good overclocking utility that allows you to overclock outside your bios (to let me try 1.6v because my mobo only goes to 1.55v)?

You need to adjust the CPU VID special control, set the voltage to 1.425v, and the special control to 113%. That should give you 1.6. But before you try that, I really suggest you try 1.525 and 1.55v, because it's always best to use the lowest voltage as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom