Overheating issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rephistorch

Solid State Member
Quite recently I've been having issues with heat on my processor. I have been running this computer for over 4 months with out this problem. During the previous 4 months my computer ran ~40-60 for low-high loads. Right now it's idling at ~55-60. I decided to run Battlefield 2 (which is a great game) and it wouldn't start! I was think... hey that's weird. I checked my processor temp and it was at 65 without even loading the game. I shut my computer off for about 15 minutes and then the tempuratures leveled out at about 55. I tried running the game again and it worked. I was really happy when this happened. After about 5 minutes of playing this game I decided to check the CPU temp. And I'm glad I did because it was running at 80! Which is way out of the tempurature range esp when i could run this game earlier with the processor 20 degrees less than today. Please help me try to find out my problem. For the time being I have put an alarm on the core so that I'll know if it gets over 65

(all degrees are in celcius)

You could try cleaning the inside of your case. I use a flat-heat screw driver to loosen dust stuck on my cpu heatsink while holding a vaccuum cleaner in my other hand. And to get rid of loose dust everywhere else, I just blow and then move the vaccuum cleaner around.

Also if you feel comfortable with this you should take off the CPU and add new Thermal paste Artic silver is best. If you do ground yourself before touching anything inside...

yeah i'm gonna clean it out later today and then if the problem doesn't go away i'll get a new heatsink/fan/thermalpaste just to make sure. and of course i'll ground myself:)

EDIT: it just so happens that there was about a millimeter thick viel of dust rightunder the fan so that little or no air was getting to the processor. I cleaned it off and now im running 32-33 idle again... i can't believe that much dust from just 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom