Newly built PC- unable to read OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCash21

Baseband Member
I can get to the BIOS just fine. But when I try starting up with windows in the CD ROM it fails to read it. I made sure the CD ROM drive is the first to be read in BIOS. Is there anything that needs to be done before installing an OS? I'm new at building so even those things obvious to you may help me out.

JCash21 said:
it fails to read it.

Explain.

Is this a legit copy of a windows operating system? With a bootstrap?

If you switch your first boot to CD-ROM with a legit Installation Windows disk and the CD-ROM drive is full functional and hooked up correctly... THe installation should start.

Are you sure that you connected the CD_ROM or DVD-ROM drive correctly? One the right connecter on the IDE cable?

If you have more then one drive, are they configured properly? Master/Slave Jumpers & On the right IDE channels?

Re: Re: Newly built PC- unable to read OS?

HAVOC2k5 said:
Explain.

Is this a legit copy of a windows operating system? With a bootstrap?

If you switch your first boot to CD-ROM with a legit Installation Windows disk and the CD-ROM drive is full functional and hooked up correctly... THe installation should start.

Are you sure that you connected the CD_ROM or DVD-ROM drive correctly? One the right connecter on the IDE cable?

If you have more then one drive, are they configured properly? Master/Slave Jumpers & On the right IDE channels?

I'm using a burned copy of windows I got from a relative. Could this be the problem? It boots automatically in the computer I'm using to type this message. Thanks for your help.

Well, assuming it's a burned copy of a windows Installation CD and it's working... on another PC.

I'd say that you don't have your Optical Drive or Drives connected properly, or you might not have the drive jumpers set properly.

Could the jumper not be set correct despite the fact the BIOS is reading the drive?

Yes. The BIOS may recognize the drive, but windows / installation will not.

Your Primary Optical on the top of the IDE channel must be set to master.
Regardless if you have another optical or not. If you do, then the secondary drive needs to be set to slave on the secondary IDE connecter.

MASTER / MASTER
SLAVE / SLAVE
MASTER / CS
SLAVE / CS

Will not work. You must have it MASTER / SLAVE or CS /CS which you would need a special Cable Select IDE cabel for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom