Replacing Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyman143

Fully Optimized
Hello,
This is my first time posting on these forums, and I must say that this is a very nice looking forum and I have seen many. ;)

Anyway, this is my question:
A computer recently quit working. There appeared to me no power going to the computer at all. I took the cover off and discovered that the power supply had to be the problem. because there was indeed no power to the system and the power supply box was making a buzzing noise.
I have another computer and want to use the power supply from that.
The current power supply says it's voltage is 115, while the new one is 110. will this be a problem and are there any other dangers that I should worry about?

How do I know if I can use it or not?

Thank You :)

you say the power supply is still buzing? Or was it buzzing before it broke?

Is the power supply still going on when the computer is turned on? If it is then it could well be something else is upwith your system.

No, that's fine. Using a known working good PSU is probably the best way to determine if you have a faulty one. The difference in voltages is nothing to be concerned about.

is it hard changing up power supplies, because my 98 has an old fart supply and im thinking of buying a 500 watt. is it a complicated process?

Some power supplies for prebuilts are keyed for that case only, them be also be a different form factor, ("AT, Micro ATX, ATX"). So if it doesn't fit, don't force it.

You have two connectors to the mobo in atx. the 20/24 pin and the 4 pin connectors. Just pull the 20/24 pin connectors out gently and then connect the test psu to the mobo out side of the case. hook up the boot hd and the video card molex only and power on the system. You are just looking to hear the 1 beep at the finish of the system POST (power on system test). If it POSTs, it is the PSU!!!

Thanks for the replies!

I went ahead and switched them and powered up the computer and so far everything seems good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom