Mobo Case Transfer!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it normal for system to kick on without the +12 volt 4 pin adaptor and just the 20 pin? because it turned on finally without it. what does that mean?

HAVOC2k5 said:
What model Dell is it and what brand model of the case did you transfer it into?

Normally, Dell cases are specifically designed for Dell motherboards. They normally are in a somewhat microATX form factor. Also, the Front Panel connecters on most dells are not universal. They use a special connecter, which is normally connected to a small PCB board inside the case, which is in turn connected to the different LEDs and switches.

It was just a dell 8300 3.2ghz p4 with 1.5 gig ram. its processor is a prescott.

I transferred it to a NZXT Nemesis Elite Case.

Yeah i noticed that it didnt have all the physical headers of other boards. Just ribbon cables everywhere.

OK. thanks.

That's the same model that I had. But I had a 3.4Ghz Prescott.
The Dell Motherboard fits into that case? HOw did you hook up the front panel connecters? I know for a fact that the 8300 uses a special front panel connecter, that isn't standard, like most aftermarket cases or Motherboards.

PrinceCharming said:
Yeah i noticed that it didnt have all the physical headers of other boards. Just ribbon cables everywhere.

Exactly. The front panel wires are bundled in a gray ribbon cable right?
With a strange connecter for the motherboard. How did you hook up the new case to the motherboard. (Front Panel Wiring)

I didnt put that in my case because i was told i wouldnt need it and that i could start it up from the psu. Do i have to have that?

yeah thats right its a grey ribbon cable that goes from the mobo up and around to a panel that contains the startup button on the front of the unit.

So basically you don't have anyway to start your PC from the front panel of your new case? So you're expecting to just turn on the PSU switch and get the PC up and running?

No HDD activity lights? No Reset Button? No Power Button?

Yes you need that. The only way you'll be able to get that PC started will be by bridging the soft power pins on the Dell mobo... Which are somewhere in that Connecter on the motherboard. Good luck finding them.

This isn't going to work dude.

You need to buy a new motherboard and an OEM operating system.
Take all the components off the Dell Mobo and rebuild. Oh yeah, you'll also need a new HS&FAN, because the one that comes with the Dell, is special for the Dell CPU Mounting Bracket.

Trust me on this... I owned a Dell 8300 and have worked on hundreds. They are proprietry and can't be upgraded easily.
Sure, videocards, memory, soundcards or PCI cards... But that's it...
May-be even CPU's... But cases, PSU's, Motherboards... No can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom