Several programs refuse to load or install

Status
Not open for further replies.

rblade

Solid State Member
Hello.

I've been fighting with this problem for days now, I posted to Computing.net's forum but no'one there could help me.

This all started when I tried to open BSplayer, all I got was the message "this program has encountered an error and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Naturally, I decided to run a spyware check and tried to open Ad-Aware - same result.
Tried to reinstall both programs, the error message started displaying during install.
I opened the computer in safe mode, and noticed that both programs work fine there. I ran Ad-Aware and cleaned the computer, after that I ran Avast and Ewido (both of them work in normal mode) I also tried several online scanners, and the computer should be completely clean. After that I tried to install other anti-spyware and antivirus softwares to see if they'd find something new, but all of the refused to install, I didn't even get an error message, just the error sound.
I tried to check the processes that aren't functioning during safe mode, but found nothing suspicious, yet the culprit has to be something that runs in normal mode, but not in safe mode.

Also, I don't know if it is of any importance, but at the same time I noticed that the programs don't work, a message started to display during log-in that said that "There is no disk in drive A. Please insert a disk". That is a minor annoyance, but I thought that if this is a virus the message could be relevant.

I'd be very happy if someone could point me to the right direction, I'm running out of ideas here.

My OS is WinXP Pro SP 1. I'll be happy to give any additional information if needed.

Thank you for your reply, however the problem started to bug me so much that I reinstalled the OS. Allthough it will take me days to get everything the way it was, I think it was a smart decision - the whole system drive was cleaned in the process. But I'll remember this information if the problem shows itself again.

Hello again.

I'm starting to think that the OS reinstall wasn't such a smart idea after all...
So, after installing WinXP, SP 1 and 2 and retrieving the WMF hotfix I thought that I was good to go, however the net started to freeze.
It works fine for awhile, then it slows down and stops working completely, and some programs can't access the net at all. I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall, and I've ran Ad-aware, Ewido and Avast several times, all scans come out clean. I'd run Spybot, but it can't access the net to retrieve the updates.
The problem can't be in the connection - the computer I'm writing this from is in the same ADSL box but in this one the net works perfectly. I also tried to switch the cables, if the cable in the other computer would be a faulty one, but it didn't seem so.
It seems that my computer has decided to hate me - I've managed to solve all the problems until now but these two most recent are completely out of my control.
I'd appreciate any help concerning this matter.
Thank you in advance.

What you need to do is slip SP2 into your XP CD, this will give you the least amount of problems

when you installed Sygate Personal Firewall, you should turn off xp firewall

EricB said:
when you installed Sygate Personal Firewall, you should turn off xp firewall

Yup, did that - didn't work.
My system specs are
Intel D865PERL
Intel P4 HT 3200 MHz s478 Prescott
2Gb Bf DDR-RAM DIMM
and my netcard is SMC EZ Card 1244TX

Please tell me if I forgot something.
oh, and Warez Monster, what exactly do you mean by "slipping the SP2 into the XP CD"? I'm sorry, English isn't my first language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom