Invalid drive error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwhite

Beta member
Problem: When I try to install the software for an HP PSC 1510 All-In-One printer on my Compaq desktop PC running Windows XP Pro, I get Error 1327 Invalid Drive: M\

The installation fails.

Suspected cause: I used to have a small internal slave hard drive in this computer which I removed. I presume that the reference to this drive still exists somewhere in the registry or wherever.

Or could there be another explanation?

Questions:
1/ How can I resolve this problem?
2/ Will deleting reference to the drive do it?
3/ Most importantly -- How do I delete the reference to this drive?

My Compaq is conected by a D-Link router to one other desktop PC. Both are running Windows XP Pro.

Thanks.
Frank White
Windsor Ontario Canada

Kudos to Microsoft Support for a quick and helpful response to thiis problem. The successful solution invloved changing the drive letter on the CD-ROM drive in which I inserted the printer software installation disk.

Here's how --
1/ Click Start and click Run in Windows XP
2/ In the Open box, type DISKMGMT.MSC and press Enter
3/ In the list of drives that appears, right-click the CD drive in which you inserted the disk and change the drive letter to M:\
4/ Exit DISKMGMT and then run the printer install software.
5/ When installation is complete, remember to change the drive letter back to its original setting following Steps 1-3.

Hope this helps someone else who encounters a similar problem.

Strange that the CD would demand a CDrom drive nomencalture not found on your system. The installation usually uses the default drive location specified in your installed driver proctocols. This is an older printer?????? You might want to see if there are new XP drivers for your printer on their website!!

Rico, Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely follow up on your suggestion. Bottom line -- I'm just happy the printer is working. I got it free with the purchase of a notebook. Well, kinda "free". I had to pay $50 and then send HP a $50 rebate request. Such nonsense. More bother than it's worth.

All the best, Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom