I just installed more RAM onto my computer my computer isn't using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyoro

Baseband Member
Originally, my computer had 1gb of RAM. My motherboard is an ASUS. My system supports DDR SDRAM. My computer had two DIMM 512mb RAM sticks and I just installed one 1024mb RAM stick. I know for a fact my computer knows the new RAM is there, so I'm sure I installed it properly, but when I click "Properties" under "My Computer", it says that i I still have 1gb of RAM not 2gb.

Can anyone help me on this?

Hmmm... This belongs in Hardware Troubleshooting.

I'll help you out though :p This sounds like a bad stick of memory. Did you read your mobo manual to check to see if you put it in the right place?

I suck at troubleshooting, but its not a bad stick, I can tell you that much.

Might it have something to do with your having Dual Channel enabled? Those 3 won't run in Dual Channel. Just a wild guess.

So hmm 3 sticks of mem. Not reconginizing the third stick. Try reseating the ram. Push it down all the way and clip on the clips.

Looks like the computer works. Did you look through the manual and see if you needed single sided ram in a certain slot and double sided ram in the other sloits

I 100% sure my RAM is fine. Since I already know my computer knows that the new RAm is there, I'm sure I installed it properly. My computer is just not reading it. And yes, it is also the same type of RAM as my other two sticks.

And.. Would it really matter if I had dual-channeling?

You didn't mention it, but did you check the BIOS to see if the memory you installed is showing up in there?

cedjunior said:
You didn't mention it, but did you check the BIOS to see if the memory you installed is showing up in there?

It's not showing in my ASUS motherboard BIOS but I know because I used a program called "Everest" which tells you the generals about your computer parts.

what's the maximum ram can your mobo support?
have you tried installing just that new ram and see if it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom