New dvd burner help

Status
Not open for further replies.

colson8217

Beta member
I am looking to buy a new dvd burner and was thinking of buying a Plextor 716A. Is there a better drive to buy for the money. Also I dont know which type to buy. I have a hp 790n, old i know, but which type of the 716A do i get. THere are ATA, IDE, and SATA and i dont know which is compatible

There is a thread around here with recommended brands, but I would have to look around to find it. As to which type of drive you need: from the specification sheets on hp.com it looks like you will have to go with an IDE drive.

Edit: Found that thread, but it doesn't have much on optical drives yet. From the prices I've seen you might want to choose a cheaper brand.

Make sure you get a "DL"= "Double layer" DVD Burner. The blank DL DVDs are still expensive but the price will drop in the future. Regular blank DVDs hold 4.7GBs when DL DVDs hold 8GB.

Good Luck :D

get an HP lightscribe. I'm getting one for my computer, and i heard its a little slow to burn the labels on the disc, but they turn out nice. and its dual layer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom