Windows ME not booting (yes i know its old)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundertiger

Baseband Member
hi there, i am having a serious problem with windows ME, when i log on it asks for a password and i always click cancel, never put my pass in (please dont ask why). so, ever since i got a router, the logon box changed to plese log onto the network, so i clicked cancel as i would normally, but then the next day, i accidently clicked OK, when i did that the PC froze, so i held in power button and turned it off, when i next turned it on, it got to the windows me splash screen and then screen went black and I had a flashing cursor at the top left which was there for nearly half an hour and still nothing. so again i turned it of and this time booted up into safe mode, the splash screen showed, then just before the windows netwok logon box came up, the PC just froze and i can't move the mouse or do CTRL + ALT + DEL. Also i dont have a windows ME startup disk and cant access control panel to make one, i also have a laptop running windows Xp home with NO floppy drive, so i cant make a boot disk from the laptop, any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanx, thundertiger

You might also try shutting down and UNPLUGGING the machine from its power source for 10-30 minutes, then plugging it back in and restarting. I'm not sure why this sometimes works, as it doesn't really "clear" the CMOS, but when I had the "dreaded black screen" and lost all my USB ports recognition, I tried it and it worked (everything came back).

Anyone have a reason why this works for certain problems like this?

My old computer with ME would do the same thing before too. Freez on a black screen with just a blinking cursor. I would have to keep restarting it untill it would finally boot to windows. Sometimes it just likes to be randomly retarded like that. Thats the crapiness of ME for ya. Bill Gates should be SHOT IN THE FACE for creating Windows ME. 98 was much more solid.

Press F8 just after POST but before the Windows screen would normally load. You may keep pressing it if you like until you get the menu.

ok, ive presed F8 and got a menu come up with 4 options...

Microsoft Windows Millenium Startup Menu

1. Normal
2. Logged (\bootlog.txt)
3. Safe Mode
4. Step-By-Step confirmation

what do i go into ?

safemode freezes when it gets to just before my desktop and normal freezes with a black screen and a dlashing cursor, what do i do ?

hmmm, i thought safe mode command prompt should be there. ah well, you could boot to a floppy and run it. but you'll prolly need to find the path. its prolly in c:\windows\command

ok, ive got a little further, please could u help me from here...

i have dug out an old windows 98 startup disk and when i put it in i get 3 options...

1. Start computer with CD-ROM support (CD-ROM being floppy i guess)
2. start computer without CD-ROM support ( " ")
3. View Help File

so, i chose start without cdrom support and then trieds with cd-rom support and they both do ecactly the same thing, so, i chose start without cdrom support and now now on the screen i have...

Preparing to start your computer.
This may take a few minutes please wait...

The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive D.

To get help, type HELP and press ENTER

A:\> (and a blinking cursor here)

what do i type / do from here ???

please help as i have loads of accounting and bookwork stored on here and need it ASAP.

any help greatly appreciated...
..thundertiger

EDIT: Also, when i have the A:\> on screen, i typed this...

A:\>C:\windows\command

and it said. Incorrect MS-DOS Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom