Which CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sundiego

Beta member
Hey,

So I am going to build my computer and I got most of it figured out, however still a little unsure on which processor to get. I dont want to spend a huge amount of money, around $300-$480 is my limit unless spending a little more will see a great increase in performance.

I was thinking about

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego Core
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
AMD Opteron 150 2.4GHz
Opteron 165 or 170

AMD is what I want to get. Any other suggestions, AMD wise?

I will be using it as my main computer with mostly gaming applications.

Thanks

i would get a AMD athlon 64bit 3500 and a ABIT Motherboard wiv 1gb ram and 120gb hdd and a 6600gt gfx card

Athlon 64 3700+. I know it's not on the list, but the price is reasonable, and it will overclock to FX processor speeds. I know this probably isn't the place to fight this battle, but buying dual-core at this point is premature. By the time dual core applications actually require the second core to run, you'll be wanting another upgrade. At that time you can get your octuple core CPU or whatever they're on at that time.

Ryan

I would get the 3800+ X2 AMD 64, I love it, my first dual core, I can encode DVDs, Download, play games, and have 5 other programs all opened as long as I affinity the Encoding with no lag on ANY of the programs =)

Hey

Trying to narrow down my search for a good processor, for a good price. I want to use it mostly for gaming, however I also want it to be future proof.

These are what I was looking at, I rather spend extra money only if it is worth the extra $60 or $80.

Opteron 165
Opteron 170
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

Would a single core be better?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom