Loud 6800GS fan...any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshC

Baseband Member
Well I got my new computer up and running, but I've got one problem...it's LOUD. I'd like to keep it running all the time, but at night it is loud enough that it keeps me awake. I figured out that the problem is my 6800GS fan. Without that running my it is almost silent. I've talked to evga tech support and they can't send me another fan so I'd have to send the whole card back. I really can't do without it for the time it will take to RMA it and even then I may still have the same problem.

Does anybody have any ideas to quiet this fan down or what would you recommend for another fan? I was thinking something along the lines of the Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 Rev. 3.

artic coolers are the bomb, grab one, install it, you will thank yourself for all eternity. make sure it fits of course...

alternatively you can try greasing your stock fan, bu i doubt that will help if it's just a "loud" fan.

zalman vf-700 cu

I've got one... I can't even tell it's there. GREAT cooling device and good price. It'll help you overclock that GS a little too.

Ryan

i've got the zalman vf-700 cu. i was choosing between the arctic or zalman. i ended up wid the zalman cuz i'm into a quiet environment (hooked it up on my fan controller) and i rely on zalman's idea of quietness. but i like the idea of the arctic's fan exhaust.

I took the card out tonight and was messing with the fan some. When spun by hand there is a slight grinding noise, so I'm guessing the problem is a faulty bearing. Guess I'm going to RMA it with Newegg and see if the new one is any better. If not then I will go with the Arctic Cooling or the Zalman. I'm leaning more towards the Arctic because of the exhaust idea and what seems to be better memory cooling.

While on the cooling subject, does anybody have any input on a good heatsink/fan for my Athlon 64 3500+? I may upgrade that if I upgrade the cooling on the graphics card.

well i always leave my computer running it actually sounds like a vaccum cleaner lol, or a jet engine. especially with the vantec torrnado! lol and the 125cfm blower mounted to the pci area. but i actually sleep better when its on. idk just the fact of it being perfectly silent is weird. i reboot my computer about every 2 weeks. but if you are that picky about noise, i would suggest the nv silencer so you can also overclock because those stock coolers are worthless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom