Mobo Case Transfer!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceCharming

Solid State Member
I recently Transfered my Dell system into a new case because of overheating issues. I aslo purchased a new 500 Watt PSU for my new case and a video card. When I got everything in the new case i turned it on for about 30 seconds and then shut it off. Now when I turn it on it stays on for about 2 seconds and shuts off. I tried unpluging everything and even jumped the new PSU. The new PSU works and the new video card worked perviously in the old setup just fine. I even tried using one of the old PSU's and it didnt work. I also took out all ram except one module to see if it was a ram issue and that didnt work either.

I hope you guys can help,

Sounds like you're still having a heat issue.Usually shut offs like that are due to an improperly installed heatsink fan assembly.

Does your system make it through the post? Are you getting error beeps from your Bios. Don't worry about the front side connector setup given that you are able to power on te sytem from the start button on your case. Tell me more about the "heat" problem.

No it doesnt post at all.. I checked all the wiring 10 times over and i couldnt see anything wrong with them. I even dissconected everything and took everything out of the box to start fresh and go through the paces again. didnt work. No im not getting any beeps now either but i did when I first turned it on i had one beep and my dell A B C D troubleshooting thing on the back of the mobo read no memory modules but i fixed that. Then the second time it came on it reported a possible expansion card failure. But not long after that it shut down and i couldnt fix it. I did take the heatsink off after a day of this and made sure i re-applied it with artic silver thermal paste and snapped the heat sink back down on it firmly until it seated because my computer buddy said the could help sometimes by taking everything off the board including the cpu to somehow reset something. Should i pull the battery too?

Yes the cpu was getting pretty hot when i first turned it on inside its new case with the new psu. But the board was taken right from my Dell case in to the new one so i dont understand how it would be different there. could the new psu have fried it? and if so shouldnt the mobo have stopped it before it got that far?

I would pull the cmos battery and clear the cmos. computers and new parts are like engine rebuilds in cars. you blow a valve and then you build the heads and then the compression goes up and then you blow a rod!!!. It is going to be impossible for you to figure out at this point but sometimes, if the CPU was weak or on it's last leg or the mobo, of that matter, a slight change in voltages to the mobo or cpu can put it over the top. May be time to invest in a new mobo and cpu....you'll be beter off anyway given that Dells....well how do I say it...............suck!!!!!!! This has been a great educatinal process for you because these kinds of problems force you to do research, ask questions and learn!!! Sorry it took a dump....welcome to the world PC repair and trouble shooting!!! Your offcially a geek!!!! :)

Ok Rico i will try pulling the battery and putting it back and see if that does anything. I guess I will have take my processor down to a guy i know who has a computer shop and see if its the processor or not. then i will know for sure whats realy causing it. I would take him the whole machine but i know at this point its got to be either the cpu or the mobo. plus he will charge me a 100 bucks .. lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom