Floppy Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenboy3413

Baseband Member
So........I just finished building an amazing computer with the help of some of you guys on this forums. Thing runs great and I am very pleased. Now, I need to transfer all my music files from my old computer (sharing router). I figured i would be able to setup a network and just transfer them really fast over that. So i used my new comp to set up the network, then when the wizard finished it saved all the details to a floppy disc and said to put into any other computers that will be placed on the network. Now here inlies my problem. I have a floppy drive on my old computer however, when i go into the my computer file only the dvd rom, cd rom, and c drive are listed. No floppy
drive what so ever. What can i do about this?

Install one? I can't possibly imagine how you can not have a spare floppy somewhere. I'm pretty sure you can save it on some other source. Its just a .exe file right, but I don't remember.

aight, i have a floppy drive installed on both computers. The settings for the network that i set up on my new comp are saved on a floppy disc. I cannot load those settings onto the old computer because, despite there being a floppy drive on it, and that floppy drive being listed in the device manager list, the drive is not listed in the My Computer folder as all the other drives are. Therefor i have no way of opening the files on the floppy disc.

couldn't you use a flash drive or burn them to a CD, or just use a crossover cable?

u don't need to use floppy to create network. i hooked up my computer on the router, shared files, and now i can get my music files from my bro's comp. using XP

The one time Ive only shared files. There was a shared folder in XP i dont remember where but you put the files in that then go on your other computer and you can take them out of that and place them anywhere you want. That is the whole point of making a network, so you dont have to used portable storage.

i realize i dont need portable storage. The only problem with transfering data over a network from one comp to the other is that i dont have a network. I just hooked both computers up to the router. Then i setup a network on one computer. At the end of the setup networkk wizard it said to save to a floppy disc or to the windows xp disc then transfer to any other computers you want on your network. Unfortunately, as stated above, my floppy drive is there but..........not there. Therefore i cannot complete setting up the network.

goldenboy3413 said:
i realize i dont need portable storage. The only problem with transfering data over a network from one comp to the other is that i dont have a network. I just hooked both computers up to the router. Then i setup a network on one computer. At the end of the setup networkk wizard it said to save to a floppy disc or to the windows xp disc then transfer to any other computers you want on your network. Unfortunately, as stated above, my floppy drive is there but..........not there. Therefore i cannot complete setting up the network.
hmmm...when i did the network wizard before, i just told it to continue without using floppy and it worked.

or you can do it manually. start the SERVER service in Services (set it to automatic). make sure that the file and printer sharing for microsoft network is checked in your local area connection properties. also make sure that you configure your firewall settings

you need a crossover cable if going directly from computer to computer

and you need to set up an IP address on each system - 2000 and XP will do so automatically, but others except for Linux you will have to set manually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom